Remote Access VPN (Certificate Profile)
With certificate authentication, the user must present a valid client certificate that identifies them to the GlobalProtect portal or gateway. In addition to the certificate itself, the portal or gateway can use a certificate profile to determine whether the user that sent the certificate is the user to which the certificate was issued.
When a client certificate is the only means of authentication, the certificate that the user presents must contain the username in one of the certificate fields; typically the username corresponds to the common name (CN) in the Subject field of the certificate.
Upon successful authentication, the GlobalProtect app establishes a tunnel with the gateway and is assigned an IP address from the IP pool in the gateway’s tunnel configuration. To support user-based policy enforcement on sessions from the corp-vpn zone, the username from the certificate is mapped to the IP address assigned by the gateway. If a security policy requires a domain name in addition to the user name, the domain value specified in the certificate profile is appended to the username.
This quick configuration uses the same topology as GlobalProtect VPN for Remote Access. The only configuration difference is that instead of authenticating users against an external authentication server, this configuration uses client certificate authentication only.
Interfaces and Zones for GlobalProtect.Use the default virtual router for all interface configurations to avoid having to create inter-zone routing.
- Select NetworkInterfacesEthernet. Configure ethernet1/2 as a Layer 3 Ethernet interface with IP address 203.0.113.1, and then assign it to the l3-untrustSecurity Zone and the default Virtual Router.
- Create a DNS “A” record that maps IP address 203.0.113.1 to gp.acme.com.
- Select NetworkInterfacesTunnel and Add the tunnel.2 interface. Add the tunnel interface to a new Security Zone called corp-vpn, and then assign it to the default Virtual Router.
- Enable User Identification on the corp-vpn zone.
- Create security policies to enable traffic flow between
the corp-vpn zone and the l3-trust zone,
which enables access to your internal resources.
- Select PoliciesSecurity, and then Add a new rule.
- For this example, you would define the rule with the
- Name (General tab)—VPN Access
- Source Zone (Source tab)—corp-vpn
- Destination Zone (Destination tab)—l3-trust
- Use one of the following methods to obtain a server certificate
for the interface hosting the GlobalProtect portal and gateway:Select DeviceCertificate ManagementCertificates to manage certificates as follows:
- Obtain a server certificate. Because the portal and gateway are on the same interface, the same server certificate can be used for both components.
- The CN of the certificate must match the FQDN, gp.acme.com.
- To enable users to connect to the portal without receiving certificate errors, use a server certificate from a public CA.
client certificates to GlobalProtect clients and endpoints.
- Use your enterprise PKI or a public CA to issue a unique client certificate to each GlobalProtect user.
- Install certificates in the personal certificate store on the endpoints.
a client certificate profile.
- Select DeviceCertificate ManagementCertificate Profile. Add a new certificate profile, and then enter a profile Name such as GP-client-cert.
- Select Subject from the Username Field drop-down.
- In the CA Certificates area, Add the CA certificate that issued the client certificates. Click OK twice.
a GlobalProtect Gateway.See the topology diagram shown in GlobalProtect VPN for Remote Access.Select NetworkGlobalProtectGateways, and then Add the following configuration:Interface—ethernet1/2IP Address—203.0.113.1Server Certificate—GP-server-cert.pem issued by GoDaddyCertificate Profile—GP-client-certTunnel Interface—tunnel.2IP Pool—10.31.32.3 - 10.31.32.118
- Configure the GlobalProtect
Portals.Select NetworkGlobalProtectPortals, and then Add the following configuration:
Up Access to the GlobalProtect Portal:Interface—ethernet1/2IP Address—203.0.113.1Server Certificate—GP-server-cert.pem issued by GoDaddyCertificate Profile—GP-client-cert
the GlobalProtect Agent Configurations:Connect Method—On-demand (Manual user initiated connection)External Gateway Address—gp.acme.com
- Set Up Access to the GlobalProtect Portal:
the GlobalProtect App Software.Select DeviceGlobalProtect Client. Follow the procedure to Host App Updates on the Portal.
- (Optional) Enable use of the GlobalProtect mobile
app.Purchase and install a GlobalProtect subscription (DeviceLicenses) to enable use of the app.
- Save the GlobalProtect configuration.Click Commit.
Remote Access VPN (Authentication Profile)
Remote Access VPN (Authentication Profile) In the GlobalProtect VPN for Remote Access , the GlobalProtect portal and gateway are configured on ethernet1/2 , so this ...
Remote Access VPN with Two-Factor Authentication
Remote Access VPN with Two-Factor Authentication If you configure a GlobalProtect portal or gateway with an authentication profile and a certificate profile (which together can ...
Remote Access VPN with Pre-Logon
Remote Access VPN with Pre-Logon Pre-logon is a connect method that establishes a VPN tunnel before a user logs in. The purpose of pre-logon is ...
GlobalProtect Certificate Best Practices
GlobalProtect Certificate Best Practices The following table summarizes the SSL/TLS certificates you will need, depending on which features you plan to use: Certificate Usage Issuing ...
GlobalProtect Multiple Gateway Configuration
GlobalProtect Multiple Gateway Configuration In the GlobalProtect Multiple Gateway Topology below, a second external gateway is added to the configuration. In this topology, you must ...
Mixed Internal and External Gateway Configuration
Mixed Internal and External Gateway Configuration In a GlobalProtect mixed internal and external gateway configuration, you can configure separate gateways for VPN access and for ...
Basic LSVPN Configuration with Static Routing
Basic LSVPN Configuration with Static Routing This quick config shows the fastest way to get up and running with LSVPN. In this example, a single ...
Deploy Server Certificates to the GlobalProtect Components
Deploy Server Certificates to the GlobalProtect Components The following table shows the best practice steps for deploying SSL/TLS certificates to the GlobalProtect components: Import a ...
Deploy Machine Certificates for Authentication
Deploy Machine Certificates for Authentication To confirm that the endpoint belongs to your organization, use your own public-key infrastructure (PKI) to issue and distribute machine ...