Create an External Dynamic List Using the EDL Hosting Service
Configure an External Dynamic List (EDL) for Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications.
Some Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) providers publish lists of IP addresses and URLs as destination endpoints for their SaaS applications. SaaS providers frequently update the SaaS applications destination endpoint lists as support grows and the service expands. This requires you to manually monitor the SaaS application endpoints for changes and manually update your policy configuration to ensure connectivity to these critical SaaS applications or set up an external tool to monitor and update your EDLs.
Configure an EDL using the EDL Hosting Service maintained by Palo Alto Networks to ease the operational burden of maintaining an EDL for a SaaS application. The EDL Hosting Service provides publicly available Feed URLs for SaaS application endpoints published by the SaaS application provider. Leveraging a Feed URL as the source in an EDL allows for dynamic enforcement of SaaS application traffic without the need for you to host and maintain your own EDL source.
Palo Alto Networks checks the application Feed URLs published by SaaS providers on a daily basis. For IP based feeds, Palo Alto Networks performs optimizations to combine entries from a continuous netmask and deduplication is performed if endpoints overlap across multiple areas. Additionally, the endpoints for the Microsoft 365 Common and Office Online SaaS application are always added to every Feed URL in the EDL Hosting Service.
Microsoft updates all Microsoft 365 Feed URLs at the end of each calendar month and provides a 30 day advanced notice prior to update. See the official Microsoft 365 Web Services page for more information. The EDL Hosting Service availability status and updates are posted to the Palo Alto Networks Cloud Services Status page.
- Visit the EDL Hosting Service and identify the Feed URL for your SaaS application.Review the Microsoft 365 documentation for more information which Feed URL is best for your use case. Additionally, consider the SaaS application and location of users accessing the SaaS application when identifying a Feed URL to. For example, if you have a branch in Germany that only needs to access Exchange Online, select a Feed URL from theService Area: Exchange OnlineforGermany.
- (Best Practices) Create a certificate profile to authenticate the EDL Hosting Service.
- Download the GlobalSign Root R1 certificate.
- Import the GlobalSign Root R1 certificate.
- SelectandDeviceCertificate ManagementCertificatesImporta new certificate.
- ForCertificate Type, selectLocal.
- Enter a descriptiveCertificate Name.
- For theCertificate File, selectBrowseand select the certificate you downloaded in the previous step.
- For theFile Format, selectBase64 Encoded Certificate (PEM).
- Create a certificate authority (CA) certificate profile.
- SelectandDeviceCertificate ManagementCertificate ProfileAdda new certificate profile.
- Enter a descriptiveName.
- For theCA Certificates,Addthe certificate you imported in the previous step.
- Create an EDL using a Feed URL from the EDL Hosting Service.
- SelectandObjectsExternal Dynamic ListsAdda new EDL.
- Enter a descriptiveNamefor the EDL.
- Select the EDLType.
- For an IP-based EDL, selectIP List.
- For a URL-based EDL, selectURL List.
- (Optional) Enter aDescription for the EDL
- Enter the Feed URL as the EDLSource.Enforce all endpoints within a specific Feed URL. Adding an excluding a specific endpoint from a Feed URL can cause connectivity issues to the SaaS application.
- (Best Practices) Select theCertificate Profileyou created in the previous step.
- Specify the frequency the firewall shouldCheck for updatesto match the update frequency of the Feed URL.For example, if the Feed URL is updated daily by Palo Alto Networks then configure the EDL to check for updatesDaily.Palo Alto Networks displays the update frequency for each Feed URL in the EDL Hosting Service. Feed URLs are automatically updated with any new endpoints.
- ClickTest Source URLto verify that the firewall can access the Feed URL from the EDL Hosting Service.
- When you enforce policy on an EDL from the EDL Hosting Service where the EDL is the source, be specific when configuring which users have access to the SaaS application to avoid over-provisioning access to the application.
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.