Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, and Vulnerability Protection
Use the following workflow to set up the default Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, and Vulnerability Protection Security Profiles.
All anti-spyware and vulnerability protection signatures have a default action defined by Palo Alto Networks. You can view the default action by navigating to
and then selecting a profile. Click the
Exceptionstab and then click
Show all signaturesand you will see a list of the signatures with the default action in the Action column. To change the default action, you must create a new profile and then create rules with a non-default action, and/or add individual signature exceptions to
Exceptionsin the profile.
- Verify that you have a Threat Prevention license.The Threat Prevention subscription bundles the antivirus, anti-spyware, and the vulnerability protection features in one license. To verify that you have an active Threat Prevention subscription, selectto verify that theDeviceLicensesThreat Preventionlicense is installed and check the expiration date.
- Download the latest antivirus threat signatures.
- Selectand clickDeviceDynamic UpdatesCheck Nowat the bottom of the page to retrieve the latest signatures.
- In theActionscolumn, clickDownloadto install the latest Antivirus and Applications and Threats signatures.
- Schedule signature updates.
Best Practices for Antivirus SchedulesThe general recommendation for antivirus signature update schedules is to perform adownload-and-installon a daily basis for antivirus and weekly for applications and vulnerabilities.Recommendations for HA Configurations:
- From, click the text to the right ofDeviceDynamic UpdatesScheduleto automatically retrieve signature updates forAntivirusandApplications and Threats.
- Specify the frequency and timing for the updates and whether the update will be downloaded and installed or only downloaded. If you selectDownloadOnly, you would need to manually go in and click theInstalllink in theActioncolumn to install the signature. When you clickOK, the update is scheduled. No commit is required.
- (Optional) You can also enter the number of hours in theThresholdfield to indicate the minimum age of a signature before a download will occur. For example, if you entered 10, the signature must be at least 10 hours old before it will be downloaded, regardless of the schedule.
- In an HA configuration, you can also click theSync To Peeroption to synchronize the content update with the HA peer after download/install. This will not push the schedule settings to the peer firewall; you need to configure the schedule on each firewall.
- Active/Passive HA—If the MGT port is used for antivirus signature downloads, you should configure a schedule on both firewalls and both firewalls will download/install independently. If you are using a data port for downloads, the passive firewall will not perform downloads while it is in the passive state. In this case you would set a schedule on both firewalls and then select theSync To Peeroption. This will ensure that whichever firewall is active, the updates will occur and will then push to the passive firewall.
- Active/Active HA—If the MGT port is used for antivirus signature downloads on both firewalls, then schedule the download/install on both firewalls, but do not select theSync To Peeroption. If you are using a data port, schedule the signature downloads on both firewalls and selectSync To Peer. This will ensure that if one firewall in the active/active configuration goes into the active-secondary state, the active firewall will download/install the signature and will then push it to the active-secondary firewall.
- Attach the security profiles to a Security policy rule.
- Select, select the desired policy to modify it and then click thePoliciesSecurityActionstab.
- InProfile Settings, click the drop-down next to each security profile you would like to enable. In this example we choose default forAntivirus, Vulnerability Protection,andAnti-Spyware. The default Anti-Spyware rule enables DNS Sinkholing.If no security profiles have been previously defined, selectProfilesfrom theProfile Typedrop-down. You will then see the list of options to select the security profiles.
- Save the configuration.ClickCommit.