External Dynamic List in a URL Filtering Profile
external dynamic listis a text file that is hosted on an external web server. You can use this list to import URLs and enforce policy on these URLs. When you update the list on the web server, the firewall retrieves the changes and applies policy to the modified list without requiring a commit on the firewall.
For more information, see External Dynamic List and Enforce Policy on Entries in an External Dynamic List.
- Create the external dynamic list for URLs and host it on a web server.Create a text file and enter the URLs in the file; each URL must be on a separate line. For example:financialtimes.co.in www.wallaby.au/joey www.exyang.com/auto-tutorials/How-to-enter-Data-for-Success.aspx *.example.com/* abc?*/abc.com *&*.netSee URL Category Exception Lists for formatting guidelines.
- Configure the firewall to access the external dynamic list.
- Select.ObjectsExternal Dynamic Lists
- ClickAddand enter a descriptiveNamefor the list.
- (Optional) SelectSharedto share the list with all virtual systems on a device that is enabled for multiple virtual systems. By default, the object is created on the virtual system that is currently selected in theVirtual Systemsdrop-down.
- In the Type drop-down, selectURL List. Ensure that the list does not include IP addresses or domain names; the firewall skips non-URL entries.
- Enter theSourcefor the list you just created on the web server. The source must include the full path to access the list. For example, https://126.96.36.199/EDL_IP_2016.
- ClickTest Source URLto verify that the firewall can connect to the web server.If the web server is unreachable after the connection is established, the firewall uses the last successfully retrieved list for enforcing policy until the connection is restored with the web server.
- (Optional) Specify theRepeatfrequency at which the firewall retrieves the list. By default, the firewall retrieves the list once every hour.
- Use the external dynamic list in a URL Filtering profile.
- Select.ObjectsSecurity ProfilesURL Filtering
- Addor modify an existing URL Filtering profile.
- Namethe profile and, in theCategoriestab, select the external dynamic list from the Category list.
- Click Action to select a more granular action for the URLs in the external dynamic list.If a URL that is included in an external dynamic list is also included in a custom URL category, or URL Category Exception Lists, the action specified in the custom category or the block and allow list will take precedence over the external dynamic list.
- Attach the URL Filtering profile to a Security policy rule.
- Select theActionstab and, in the Profile Setting section, select the new profile in theURL Filteringdrop-down.
- Test that the policy action is enforced.
- Attempt to access a URL that is included in the external dynamic list.
- Verify that the action you defined is enforced in the browser.
- To monitor the activity on the firewall:
- SelectACCand add a URL Domain as a global filter to view the Network Activity and Blocked Activity for the URL you accessed.
- Selectto access the detailed log view.MonitorLogsURL Filtering
- Verify whether entries in the external dynamic list were ignored or skipped.In a list of type URL, the firewall skips non-URL entries as invalid and ignores entries that exceed the maximum limit for the platform.Use the following CLI command on a firewall to review the details for a list.request system external-list show type url <list_name>For example:request system external-list show type url EBL_ISAC_Alert_List
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.