Upgrade a Standalone Firewall to PAN-OS 8.0
Review the PAN-OS 8.0 Release Notes and then use the following procedure to upgrade a firewall not in an HA configuration to PAN-OS 8.0.
Ensure the firewall is connected to a reliable power source. A loss of power during an upgrade can make the firewall unusable.
- Save a backup of the current configuration file.Although the firewall automatically creates a configuration backup, it is a best practice to create and externally store a backup before you upgrade.
- Selectand clickDeviceSetupOperationsExport named configuration snapshot.
- Select the XML file that contains your running configuration (for example,running-config.xml) and clickOKto export the configuration file.
- Save the exported file to a location external to the firewall. You can use this backup to restore the configuration if you have problems with the upgrade.
- Ensure that the firewall is running the latest content release version. Refer to the Release Notes for the minimum content release version you must install for a PAN-OS 8.0 release. Make sure to follow the Best Practices for Application and Threat ContentUpdates
- Selectand check whichDeviceDynamic UpdatesApplicationsorApplications and Threatsto determine which update is Currently Installed.
- If the firewall is not running the minimum required update or a later version,Check Nowto retrieve a list of available updates.
- Locate andDownloadthe content release version you intend to install. After you successfully download a content update file, the link in the Action column changes fromDownloadtoInstallfor that release version.
- Installthe update.
- You cannot skip installation of any feature release versions in the path from the currently running PAN-OS version to PAN-OS 8.0.
- Upgrade to PAN-OS 8.0.
- Selectand clickDeviceSoftwareCheck Nowto display the latest PAN-OS updates.
- Locate andDownloadPAN-OS 8.0.0.
- After you download the image (or, for a manual upgrade, after you upload the image),Installthe image.As a best practice, when upgrading to a PAN-OS 8.0 release, install the PAN-OS 8.0.0 base image and reboot the firewall before you download and install a PAN-OS 8.0 maintenance release.
- After the installation completes successfully, reboot using one of the following methods:
- If you are prompted to reboot, clickYes.
- If you are not prompted to reboot, selectand clickDeviceSetupOperationsReboot Device.
- Verify that the firewall is passing traffic.Select.MonitorSession Browser
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.