Configure the Firewall to Access an External Dynamic List
- (Optional) Customize the service route that the firewall uses to retrieve external dynamic lists.By default, the firewall uses the management interface to access external services. Additionally, external dynamic lists are considered a Palo Alto Networks service. So if you’ve customized the service route that the firewall uses for all Palo Alto Networks, external dynamic lists will use that service route:If you’d like for the firewall to use a different service route to update external dynamic lists than the route it uses for other Palo Alto Networks services, selectand modify theDeviceSetupServicesService Route ConfigurationCustomizeExternal Dynamic Listsservice route.The firewall does not use the External Dynamic Lists service route to retrieve the Palo Alto Networks Malicious IP Address Feeds; it dynamically receives updates to these feeds through daily antivirus content updates (active Threat Prevention license required).
- Find an external dynamic list to use with the firewall.
- Create an external dynamic list and host it on a web server. Enter IP addresses, domains, or URLs in a blank text file. Each list entry must be on a separate line. For example:financialtimes.co.inwww.wallaby.au/joeywww.exyang.com/auto-tutorials/How-to-enter-Data-for-Success.aspx*.example.com/*abc?*/abc.com*&*.netSee the Formatting Guidelines for an External Dynamic List to ensure that the firewall does not skip list entries. To prevent commit errors and invalid entries, do not prefix http:// or https:// to any of the entries.
- Select.ObjectsExternal Dynamic Lists
- ClickAddand enter a descriptiveNamefor the list.
- (Optional) SelectSharedto share the list with all virtual systems on a device that is enabled for multiple virtual systems. By default, the object is created on the virtual system that is currently selected in theVirtual Systemsdrop-down.
- (Panorama only) SelectDisable overrideto ensure that a firewall administrator cannot override settings locally on a firewall that inherits this configuration through a Device Group commit from Panorama.
- Select the listType(for example,URL List).
- Enter theSourcefor the list you just created on the web server. The source must include the full path to access the list. For example,https://184.108.40.206/EDL_IP_2015.If you are creating a list of type Predefined IP, select a Palo Alto Networks malicious IP address feed to use as a source.
- If the list source is secured with SSL (i.e. lists with an HTTPS URL), enable server authentication. Select aCertificate Profileor create aNew Certificate Profilefor authenticating the server that hosts the list. The certificate profile you select must have root CA (certificate authority) and intermediate CA certificates that match the certificates installed on the server you are authenticating.Maximize the number of external dynamic lists that you can use to enforce policy. Use the same certificate profile to authenticate external dynamic lists from the same source URL. If you assign different certificate profiles to external dynamic lists from the same source URL, the firewall counts each list as a unique external dynamic list.
- Enable client authentication if the list source has an HTTPS URL and requires basic HTTP authentication for list access.
- SelectClient Authentication.
- Enter a validUsernameto access the list.
- Enter thePasswordandConfirm Password.
- (Not available on Panorama) ClickTest Source URLto verify that the firewall can connect to the web server.
- (Optional) Specify theRepeatfrequency at which the firewall retrieves the list. By default, the firewall retrieves the list once every hour and commits the changes.The interval is relative to the last commit. So, for the five-minute interval, the commit occurs in 5 minutes if the last commit was an hour ago. To retrieve the list immediately, see Retrieve an External Dynamic List from the Web Server.
- If the server or client authentication fails, the firewall ceases to enforce policy based on the last successfully retrieved external dynamic list. Find External Dynamic Lists That Failed Authentication and view the reasons for authentication failure.
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.