Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Internet-Connected
Upgrade Log Collector software to PAN-OS® 8.0 and install content updates using Panorama™ when Panorama is connected to the internet.
- Before you upgrade Log Collectors, ensure that you are running the appropriate Panorama™ software release on the Panorama management server.Palo Alto Networks® highly recommends that Panorama and Log Collectors run the same Panorama software release and that Panorama, Log Collectors, and all managed firewalls run the same content release version.Panorama must be running the same (or later) software release as Log Collectors but must have the same or an earlier content release version:
To check software and content versions:
- Software release version—If your Panorama management server is not already running the same or a later software release than the release to which you intend to update Log Collectors, then you must install the same or a later Panorama release on Panorama (see Install Content and Software Updates for Panorama) before you update any Log Collectors.
- Content release version—For content release versions, you should ensure that all Log Collectors are running the latest content release version or, at minimum, running a later version than is running on Panorama; if not, then first update managed firewalls (using Panorama) and then update Log Collectors before you update the content release version on the Panorama management server.
- Panorama management server—To determine what software and content versions are running on the Panorama management server, log in to the Panorama web interface and go to General Information settings (Dashboard).
- Log Collectors—To determine what software and content versions are running on Log Collectors, log in to the CLI of each Log Collector and run theshow system infocommand.
- Install the latest content updates.
- Check Now() for the latest updates. If an update is available, the Action column displays aPanoramaDevice DeploymentDynamic UpdatesDownloadlink.
- If not already installed,Downloadthe appropriate content updates. After a successful download, the link in the Action column changes fromDownloadtoInstall.
- Install the content update (Applications or Applications and Threats update before any others):ClickInstall, select the Log Collectors, and clickOK.Regardless whether your subscription includes both Applications and Threats content, Panorama installs and needs only the Applications content. For details, see Panorama, Log Collector, Firewall, and WildFire Version Compatibility.
- Repeat step c for any other updates (Antivirus, WildFire®, or URL Filtering) as needed, one at a time, and in any sequence.
- Determine the software upgrade path to PAN-OS 8.0 for the Log Collectors that you intend to upgrade to Panorama 8.0. Refer to the New Features Guide for the upgrade path to a PAN-OS 8.0 release.Check which Software Version is running on each Log Collector you intend to upgrade () and take note of each release you need to download in your path to Panorama 8.0.PanoramaManaged CollectorsIf upgrading more than one Log Collector, streamline the process by determining the upgrade paths for all Log Collectors you intend to upgrade before you start downloading images.
- For all Log Collectors you intend to update, use the upgrade path(s) identified in Step 3 to upgrade Log Collectors to your target Panorama release.
- On Panorama,Check Now() for the latest updates. If an update is available, the Action column displays aPanoramaDevice DeploymentSoftwareDownloadlink.
- For each release in your upgrade path,Downloadthe model-specific file for the release version to which you are upgrading. For example, to upgrade an M-Series appliance to Panorama 8.0.8, download thePanorama_m-8.0.8image.After a successful download, the Action column changes fromDownloadtoInstallfor that image.You can quickly locate Panorama images by selectingPanorama M Images(for M-Series appliances) from theFilter Bydrop-down.
- ClickInstallfor the first (or next) version in your upgrade path and select the appropriate Log Collectors.
- Select one of the following depending on the version you are installing within your upgrade path (Step 3):
As a best practice, when upgrading to Panorama 8.0.3 or a later release), reboot the appliance after you install the Panorama 8.0.2 base image and before you download and install the maintenance release.
- Upload only to device (do not install).
- Reboot device after install.
- ClickOKto start the installation (or upload).
- Verify the software and content update versions that are installed on the Log Collector.Log in to the Log Collector CLI and enter theshow system infooperational command. The output will resemble the following:sw-version: 8.0.0 app-version: 649-3758 app-release-date: 2016/12/21 15:46:03 av-version: 2581-3020 av-release-date: 2016/12/21 14:31:27
- When you upgrade to a Panorama 8.0 release, Panorama Log Collectors use a new log storage format. Because Panorama can no longer generate reports or ACC data from logs in the pre-8.0-release log format, you must migrate the existing logs as soon as you upgrade Panorama and its Log Collectors from a PAN-OS 7.1 or earlier release to a PAN-OS 8.0 or later release. Log migration is a one-time task; you do not need to migrate them again after you upgrade to PAN-OS 8.0.
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.