Install Updates for Panorama with an Internet Connection
If Panorama™ has a direct connection to the internet, perform the following steps to install Panorama software and content updates as needed. If Panorama is running in a high availability (HA) configuration, upgrade the Panorama software on each peer (see Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration).
Upgrading the software on the Panorama virtual appliance does not change the system mode; switching to Panorama mode or Management Only mode is a manual task that requires additional settings as described when you Set Up the Panorama Virtual Appliance with Local Log Collector.
Before updating Panorama, refer to the Release Notes. for the minimum content release version required for PAN-OS 8.1.
For Panorama on Azure, additional steps must be taken to successfully upgrade the software version. To upgrade, you need to export the Panorama configuration, upgrade the content and software versions, and import the configuration to the Panorama management server once you successfully upgrade.
- Verify that the updates you plan to install are
appropriate for your Panorama deployment.
- For a Panorama virtual appliance that runs on a hypervisor (AWS, Azure, VMware) ensure that the server meets the Setup Prerequisites for the Panorama Virtual Appliance.
- Save a
backup of the current Panorama configuration file that you can use
to restore the configuration if you have problems with the upgrade.Although Panorama automatically creates a backup of the configuration, best practice is to create and externally store a backup before you upgrade.
- Save named Panorama configuration snapshot (PanoramaSetupOperations), enter a Name for the configuration, and click OK.
- Export named Panorama configuration snapshot, select the Name of the configuration you just saved, click OK, and save the exported file to a location that is external to Panorama.
- (As needed) Install content updates.If Panorama is not running the minimum content versions required for the Panorama release to which you intend to upgrade, you must update content versions to the minimum (or later) versions before you install the software updates. Refer to Release Notes for minimum content release version for a Panorama release.Palo Alto Networks® highly recommends that Panorama, Log Collectors, and all managed firewalls run the same content release version. Additionally, we recommend that you schedule automatic, recurring updates so that you are always running the latest content versions (refer to (Best Practice) Schedule recurring, automatic content updates.).
- Check Now (PanoramaDynamic Updates)
for the latest updates. If the value in the Action column is Download,
an update is available.Ensure that Panorama is running the same but not a later content release version than is running on managed firewalls and Log Collectors.
- (As needed) Before you update the content
release version on Panorama, be sure to upgrade managed firewalls and then Log
Collectors (see Upgrade Log Collectors
When Panorama Is Internet-Connected) to the same (or a later)
content release version.If you do not need to install content updates at this time, then skip ahead to the next step.
- Install remaining content updates, as needed. When
installed, the Currently Installed column displays a check mark.
- Download and Install the Applications or Applications and Threats update. Regardless of your subscription, Panorama installs and needs only the Applications content update, not the Threats content. For details, see Panorama, Log Collector, Firewall, and WildFire Version Compatibility.
- Download and Install other updates (Antivirus, WildFire®, or URL Filtering) as needed, one at a time, and in any sequence.
- Check Now (PanoramaDynamic Updates) for the latest updates. If the value in the Action column is Download, an update is available.
- Determine the software upgrade path.
Refer to the New Features Guide for the upgrade path
to PAN-OS® 8.1.Check which version has a check mark in the Currently Installed column (PanoramaSoftware) and make a list of all versions in your upgrade path that you need to download from the Palo Alto Networks update server so that you can upload each to the appliance as needed when you upgrade.
- Use the upgrade path identified
in Step 4 to upgrade
to the latest Panorama 8.0 maintenance release. If your appliance
is already running the latest Panorama 8.0 maintenance release,
then skip ahead to Step 6.Repeat the following procedure until the appliance is running the latest Panorama 8.0 release—do not skip installation of any feature release version in the path to your target Panorama 8.1 release.
- Check Now (PanoramaSoftware) for the latest updates. If an update is available, the Action column displays a Download link.
- For each release in your upgrade path, Download the
model-specific file for the release version to which you are upgrading.
For example, to upgrade an M-Series appliance to Panorama 8.0.2,
download the Panorama_m-8.0.2 image; to upgrade
a Panorama virtual appliance to Panorama 8.0.2, download the Panorama_pc-8.0.2 image.
After a successful download, the Action column changes from Download to Install for
that image.By default, you can download a maximum of two software or content updates of each type on a Panorama appliance; if you download a third update of the same type, Panorama will delete the update for the earliest version of that type. If you need to upload more than two software updates or content updates of a single type, use the set max-num-images count <number> CLI command to increase the maximum.
- Install the software update.
- If prompted to reboot, click Yes. If you see a CMS Login prompt, press Enter without typing a username or password. When the Panorama login prompt appears, enter the username and password you specified during initial configuration.
- If you are not prompted to reboot, Reboot Panorama from the Device Operations section (PanoramaSetupOperations).
- Repeat these for each release in your upgrade path until you are running the latest PAN-OS 8.0 maintenance release.
- Check Now (PanoramaSoftware) for the latest updates. If an update is available, the Action column displays Download.
- Locate and Download the model-specific file for the release version to which you are upgrading. For example, to upgrade an M-Series appliance to Panorama 8.1, download the Panorama_m-8.1.0 image; to upgrade a Panorama virtual appliance to Panorama 8.1, download the Panorama_pc-8.1.0 image. After a successful download, the Action column changes from Download to Install for the downloaded image.
- (Required for the target
release; also required for the base image—Panorama 8.1—if you manually
download or upload the base image when upgrading to a Panorama 8.1
release) Install the downloaded image and then reboot.
- Install the image.
- After the installation completes successfully, reboot using one of the following methods:
- (Required only if upgrading to PAN-OS 8.1.1 or a later release) After completing the above steps for the PAN-OS 8.1 base image, repeat steps 1 through 3 to upgrade to the target maintenance release.
- (Panorama on Azure only) Load the exported Panorama
config from Step 2.
- Import named Panorama configuration snapshot (PanoramaSetupOperations), Browse and select the Panorama configuration file, and click OK.
- Load named Panorama configuration snapshot, select the Name of the configuration you just imported, enter the Decryption Key if required and click OK.
- Log in to the Panorama CLI.
- Commit the Panorama configuration by enter the following
admin> commit force
- (Best Practice) Schedule
recurring, automatic content updates.Panorama does not synchronize content update schedules across HA peers. You must perform this task on both the active and passive Panorama.In the header row for each update type (PanoramaDynamic Updates), the Schedule is initially set to None. Perform the following steps for each update type.
- Click None and select the update frequency (Recurrence). The frequency options depend on the update type.
- Select the schedule action:
- Download And Install (Best Practice)—Panorama automatically installs updates after downloading them.
- Download Only—You must manually install updates after Panorama downloads them.
- Based on the best practices for the security posture of your organization, configure a delay (Threshold) after an update becomes available before Panorama downloads the update.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Select CommitCommit to Panorama and Commit your changes.
- (Required if you upgraded from
a 7.1 or earlier release)Migrate Panorama Logs
to the New Log Format.When you upgrade to a Panorama 8.0 or later release, Panorama Log Collectors use a new log storage format. Because Panorama can no longer generate reports or ACC data from logs in the pre-8.0-release log format, you must migrate the existing logs as soon as you upgrade Panorama and its Log Collectors from a PAN-OS 7.1 or earlier release to a PAN-OS 8.0 or later release. Log migration is a one-time task; after you migrate the logs on the Log Collector as part an upgrade to a PAN-OS 8.0 or later release, you do not need to migrate them again.
Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Internet-Connected
Upgrade Log Collector software to PAN-OS® 8.1 and install content updates using Panorama™ when Panorama is connected to the internet. ...
Install Updates for Panorama When Not Internet-Connected
Install Updates for Panorama When Not Internet-Connected If Panorama™ does not have a direct connection to the internet, perform the following steps to install Panorama ...
Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Not Internet-Connec...
Upgrade Log Collector software to PAN-OS® 8.1 and install content updates using Panorama™ when Panorama is not connected to the internet. ...
Upgrade Firewalls When Panorama Is Not Internet-Connected
Upgrade firewall software to PAN-OS® 8.1 and install content updates using Panorama™ when Panorama is not connected to the internet. ...
Upgrade a Cluster Centrally on Panorama without an Internet...
Upgrade a Cluster Centrally on Panorama without an Internet Connection WildFire appliances in a cluster can be upgraded in parallel when they are managed by ...
Upgrade Firewalls When Panorama is Internet-Connected
Procedure to upgrade managed firewalls when Panorama is Internet connected. ...
Deploy Upgrades to Firewalls, Log Collectors, and WildFire Appliances Using Panorama
Use Panorama™ to test software and content updates on a subset of firewalls and Dedicated Log Collectors before you deploy to all your firewalls and ...
Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration
Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration To ensure a seamless failover when you update the Panorama software in a high availability (HA) configuration, ...
Upgrade a Cluster Centrally on Panorama with an Internet Co...
Upgrade a Cluster Centrally on Panorama with an Internet Connection WildFire appliances in a cluster can be upgraded in parallel when they are managed by ...