Install Updates for Panorama with an Internet Connection
If Panorama™ has a direct connection to the internet, perform the following steps to install Panorama software and content updates as needed. If Panorama is running in a high availability (HA) configuration, upgrade the Panorama software on each peer (see Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration).
Upgrading the software on the Panorama virtual appliance does not change the system mode; switching to Panorama mode or Management Only mode is a manual task that requires additional settings as described when you Set Up the Panorama Virtual Appliance with Local Log Collector.
Before updating Panorama, refer to the Release Notes. for the minimum content release version required for PAN-OS 8.1.
For Panorama on Azure, additional steps must be taken to successfully upgrade the software version. To upgrade, you need to export the Panorama configuration, upgrade the content and software versions, and import the configuration to the Panorama management server once you successfully upgrade.
- Verify that the updates you plan to install are appropriate for your Panorama deployment.Palo Alto Networks highly recommends that Panorama, Log Collectors, and all managed firewalls run the same content release version.
- Determine the software upgrade path. Refer to the New Features Guide for the upgrade path to PAN-OS® 8.1.Check which version has a check mark in the Currently Installed column () and make a list of all versions in your upgrade path that you need to download from the Palo Alto Networks update server so that you can upload each to the appliance as needed when you upgrade.PanoramaSoftware
- Save a backup of the current Panorama configuration file that you can use to restore the configuration if you have problems with the upgrade.Although Panorama automatically creates a backup of the configuration, best practice is to create and externally store a backup before you upgrade.
- Save named Panorama configuration snapshot(), enter aPanoramaSetupOperationsNamefor the configuration, and clickOK.
- Export named Panorama configuration snapshot, select theNameof the configuration you just saved, clickOK, and save the exported file to a location that is external to Panorama.
- Install the latest content updates.If Panorama is not running the minimum content versions required for the Panorama release to which you intend to upgrade, you must update content versions to the minimum (or later) versions before you install the software updates. Refer to Release Notes for minimum content release version for a Panorama release.Palo Alto Networks® highly recommends that Panorama, Log Collectors, and all managed firewalls run the same content release version. Additionally, we recommend that you schedule automatic, recurring updates so that you are always running the latest content versions (refer to 8).
- SelectandPanoramaDynamic UpdatesCheck Nowfor the latest updates. If an update is available, the Action column displays aDownloadlink.Ensure that Panorama is running the same but not a later content release version than is running on managed firewalls and Log Collectors.
- Before you update the content release version on Panorama, be sure to upgrade managed firewalls and then Log Collectors (see Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Internet-Connected) to the same (or a later) content release version.If you do not need to install content updates at this time, then skip ahead to the next step.
- Install remaining content updates, as needed. When installed, the Currently Installed column displays a check mark.
- DownloadandInstallthe Applications or Applications and Threats update. Regardless of your subscription, Panorama installs and needs only the Applications content update, not the Threats content. For details, see Panorama, Log Collector, Firewall, and WildFire Version Compatibility.
- DownloadandInstallother updates (Antivirus, WildFire®, or URL Filtering) as needed, one at a time, and in any sequence.
- Upgrade Panorama to the PAN-OS releases along your upgrade path to PAN-OS 8.1.If upgrading more than one Log Collector, streamline the process by determining the upgrade paths for all Log Collectors you intend to upgrade before you start downloading images.
- Upgrade Panorama to PAN-OS 8.1.
- Check Now() for the latest updates. If an update is available, the Action column displaysPanoramaSoftwareDownload.
- Locate andDownloadthe PAN-OS 8.1.0 image. After a successful download, the Action column changes fromDownloadtoInstallfor the downloaded image.
- (Required for the target release; also required for the base image—Panorama 8.1—if you manually download or upload the base image when upgrading to a Panorama 8.1 release) Install the downloaded image and then reboot.
- Install the image.
- After the installation completes successfully, reboot using one of the following methods:
- If prompted to reboot, click Yes. If you see a CMS Login prompt, press Enter without typing a username or password. When the Panorama login prompt appears, enter the username and password you specified during initial configuration.
- If you are not prompted to reboot,Reboot Panoramafrom the Device Operations section ().PanoramaSetupOperations
- (Panorama on Azure only) Load the exported Panorama config from Step 2.
- Import named Panorama configuration snapshot(),PanoramaSetupOperationsBrowseand select the Panorama configuration file, and clickOK.
- Load named Panorama configuration snapshot, select theNameof the configuration you just imported, enter theDecryption Keyif required and clickOK.
- Commit the Panorama configuration by enter the following commands:admin>configureadmin>commit force
- (Best Practice) Schedule recurring, automatic content updates.Panorama does not synchronize content update schedules across HA peers. You must perform this task on both the active and passive Panorama.In the header row for each update type (), thePanoramaDynamic UpdatesScheduleis initially set toNone. Perform the following steps for each update type.
- ClickNoneand select the update frequency (Recurrence). The frequency options depend on the update type.
- Select the schedule action:
- Download And Install(Best Practice)—Panorama automatically installs updates after downloading them.
- Download Only—You must manually install updates after Panorama downloads them.
- Based on the best practices for the security posture of your organization, configure a delay (Threshold) after an update becomes available before Panorama downloads the update.
- ClickOKto save your changes.
- SelectandCommitCommit to PanoramaCommityour changes.
- (Required if you upgraded from a 7.1 or earlier release)Migrate Panorama Logs to the New Log Format.When you upgrade to a Panorama 8.0 or later release, Panorama Log Collectors use a new log storage format. Because Panorama can no longer generate reports or ACC data from logs in the pre-8.0-release log format, you must migrate the existing logs as soon as you upgrade Panorama and its Log Collectors from a PAN-OS 7.1 or earlier release to a PAN-OS 8.0 or later release. Log migration is a one-time task; after you migrate the logs on the Log Collector as part an upgrade to a PAN-OS 8.0 or later release, you do not need to migrate them again.
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.