VMware Tanzu Application Service (TAS) Defender
You can deploy a dedicated Defender on the Diego cells (Hosts) in your environment. The Prisma Cloud tile installs a TAS Defender on every Diego cell in the TAS environment, including Diego cells that run in Isolation Segments.
Tanzu Application Service (TAS) Defender supports the following functions:
- Vulnerability scanning for running apps.
- Vulnerability and compliance scanning for the underlying Diego cell hosts.
- Blobstore scanning for buildpack-based apps.
- Runtime protection (process, networking, and file system).
Defender is deployed as BOSH Director addon. Addons are BOSH release jobs that run on each Diego cell host. Defender runs as a service under the root user. The Defender service is monitored by the Bosh agent, with the help of Monit. Note that the Defender service isn’t a Garden container.
Console lets you deploy Defender to multiple TAS environments. In Console, Defenders report which Cloud Controller they report to.
Currently, TAS Defender doesn’t support blocking for runtime rules, vulnerability rules, and compliance rules. The block action stops the entire container. The app lifecycle is controlled by the Tanzu Application Service framework, so Prisma Cloud cannot effectively block running apps. TAS Defender, however, does support the prevent action.
TAS Defender currently doesn’t support custom compliance checks.
Install the TAS Defender
Go to the Tanzu Ops Manager Installation Dashboard to install TAS Defender.
If you’re upgrading from a release earlier than 20.09, you must first uninstall any previous versions of TAS Defender. In version 20.09, the tile has been rearchitected. The old tile created a dedicated VM in the TAS environment with a Defender installed, and supported blobstore scanning only. The new tile installs Defender on every Diego cell in the TAS environment, with expanded support for app scanning, host scanning, and runtime defense.
- Prisma Cloud Compute Console has already been installed somewhere in your environment.
- In Prisma Cloud Console, go toManage > System > Utilities, and download the TAS tile.
- In the Ops Manager Installation Dashboard, clickImport a Product, and select the tile you downloaded.
- Retrieve the install command from Prisma Cloud Console. It’s used to configure the tile.
- Go toManage > Defenders > Deploy > Single Defender.
- Choose the DNS name or IP address the TAS Defender will use to connect to Console. If a suitable option is not available, go toManage > Defenders > Names, and add a DNS name or IP address to the SAN table.
- Set the Defender type toTAS Defender.
- Copy the install command and set it aside.
- Go to the Tanzu Ops Manager Installation Dashboard.
- Add the Prisma Cloud tile to your staging area. Click the+button next to the version of the tile you want to install.
- Click the newly addedPrisma Cloud for TAStile.
- Configure the tile.
- InPrisma Cloud Component Configuration, paste the install command you copied from Prisma Cloud Console. Provide a name for this specific TAS Foundation, then clickSave.By default Prisma Cloud performs strict validation of your Cloud Controller’s (CC) TLS certificate. If you’re using self-signed certificates, this check will fail. To add your custom certificates to trusted cert list, you need to add the custom CA’s cert on the VM where the Prisma Cloud tile runs. For more information, see the article on