Begin Scanning a Gmail App
Add your Gmail app to SaaS Security API to begin scanning and monitoring assets for possible security risks.
To connect a Gmail app to SaaS Security API and begin scanning assets, you need to:
- Ensure that you have a Google admin account with Super Admin role.
- Add the Google admin account to SaaS Security API and assign a Super Admin role.
- Add the Gmail app to Google Marketplace and SaaS Security API.
- Grant Gmail API access to SaaS Security API.
For information on which automated remediation capabilities SaaS Security API supports with Gmail, refer to Supported Applications with Remediation.
Prepare To Add Gmail App
Google’s default Super Admin role provides the necessary communication between SaaS Security API and the Gmail app.
- Read, write, and relocate assets in the app.
- API access. API access provides visibility into the assets in Gmail and allows SaaS Security API to monitor the sharing of assets.
- Verify that your Google administrator account is assigned Super Admin role.
- Google administrator account’s domain matches the existing domain on SaaS Security API.
- (Recommended) Add your Gmail domain as an internal domain.
- Log in to Google Marketplace using an admin account with Super Admin role permissions.
- Go to https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace and log out of Google Marketplace to ensure that you are not logged in as a user other than an account with Super Admin role permissions.
- Log in again to Google Marketplace using an account that has Super Admin role permissions.
- Add the email address of the Google administrator to SaaS Security API and assign a Super Admin role.
- Next Step: Proceed to Add Gmail App.
Add Gmail App
In order for SaaS Security API to scan assets, you must consent to specific permissions during the course of adding the Gmail app.
- From theDashboard, selectAdd a Cloud App.
- SelectGmailto launch the install.
- Before you begin: As indicated in the on-screen instructions in Step 1, Prepare To Add Gmail App.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in Step 2:Go to Google Marketplace. Afterward, theDomain Installbutton is replaced by a disabledUninstallbutton with a message that readsPlease uninstall app for domain in Admin Console. This behavior is expected.
- SelectDomain Installon the Google Marketplace page.
- ClickContinueto proceed with theDomain wide installprocess.
- Review andAcceptthe requested permissions.SaaS Security API requires these permissions to scan your assets on Gmail. A new browser window opens in the foreground.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in Step 3:Connect to Gmail Account.After you enter the Gmail admin email, you are redirected toCloud Apps and Scan Settingson SaaS Security API. A message displays in a banner and the Gmail:App installed.Congratulations—you’ve completed the onboarding process!
- Next Step: Proceed to Identify Risks and begin scanning your assets.
When you add a new cloud app and enable scanning, SaaS Security API automatically scans the cloud app against the default data patterns and displays the match occurrences. You can take action now to improve your scan results and identify risks.
- Start scanning the new Gmail app for risks.
- During the discovery phase, SaaS Security API scans files and matches them against enabled default policy rules.Verify that your default policy rules are effective. If the results don’t capture all risks or you see false positives, proceed to the next step.
- (Optional) Configure or edit a data pattern.
Customize Gmail App
If you plan to manage more than one instance of Gmail app, consider differentiating your instances.
Fix Gmail App Onboarding Issues
The most common issues related to onboarding a Gmail app are as follows:
When you click
Connect to Gmail Account(Step 3 of Install page), you receive an authentication error.
The Google account doesn’t have sufficient permissions to authenticate and access all the assets within Gmail.
When you click
Connect to Gmail Account(Step 3 of Install page), you receive a login error:
This email must be added as a Super Admin
The Google account doesn’t have an administrator account in SaaS Security API.
Make sure your Google account is super admin on SaaS Security API as outlined in Add Gmail App.
When you click
Connect to Gmail Account(Step 3 of Install page), you’re redirected to a product landing page and the Gmail app doesn’t display in the Cloud Apps list.
Cached files are preventing the correct redirect.
Do not log out of SaaS Security API. Instead, open SaaS Security API in an incognito window. Repeat relaunch the Install page and click on
Connect to Gmail Account(Step 3) again. The Gmail app now appears in the Cloud app list.
When click on
Go to Google Marketplace(Step 2 of Install page), an
Please uninstall app for domain in Admin Consolemessage displays.
This usually occurs if you previously installed the app and deleted it from SaaS Security API but did not delete it from Google Marketplace.
This problem occurs if you complete Step 2 of Install page and either abort your install or forget to click
Connect to Google Drive Account(Step 3 of Install page).
If the Google Marketplace page is open in the same browser and session that you used when you initially added the Gmail app, simply click
Connect to Gmail Account.
Otherwise, delete the Gmail app from the Google Marketplace and repeat the Gmail app onboarding process in SaaS Security API.
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.