Monitor SCTP Security
Monitor SCTP traffic by viewing logs, ACC displays generated from SCTP logs, and predefined and custom reports.
You can enable SCTP association start logs and end logs for SCTP endpoints configured in a Security policy rule from an SCTP Protection profile. All other SCTP traffic logs are event-based logs that are generated based on the options you enable in the SCTP Protection profile.
To help you monitor SCTP traffic, the firewall uses the SCTP logs to create a visual display on the Mobile Network Activity tab in the ACC. The firewall also gives you predefined reports and the ability to generate custom reports.
View the SCTP logs to verify that your SCTP Protection profile settings are securing SCTP traffic as you intend and to see information on the wide range of SCTP attributes, including SCTP event type, chunk type, payload protocol ID, SCTP cause code, association ID, stream ID, and chunks, in addition to the general information that the firewall identifies, such as source and destination address, source and destination port, and timestamp. You can run predefined and custom reports on SCTP logs.
- View SCTP logs to see, for example, source and destination IP addresses of SCTP traffic, whether control chunks were allowed, whether data chunks were filtered by their PPID, and when SCTP associations started and ended.
- Select the Detailed Log View ( ) for a specific log to view details about that log, such as the names of the Security policy rule and the SCTP filter that applied to the packets, the Verifications Tags, the Diameter Application ID, the Diameter Command Code, and the SCCP Calling Party SSN.
- View a detailed traffic log for an SCTP association, including the name of the Security policy rule that applied to the packet, the association ID, and the numbers of chunks sent and received.
- Selectand, in the filter field, enterMonitorLogsTrafficapp eq sctpand apply the filter to filter the traffic logs.
- Select the Detailed Log View ( ) for a specific log where theApplicationissctp.
- (Optional) Clear SCTP logs based on your operational requirements.
- Select.DeviceLog Settings
- In the Manage Logs section,Clear SCTP Logs.
- Use ACC to view SCTP events and association activity.
- Select.ACCMobile Network Activity
- Select the Virtual System you want to view or selectAll(default).
- Select aTimeperiod.
- In the SCTP Events window, select an association ID to see details of that association, such as chunks, source address, and destination address.
- View predefined reports about SCTP events and errors.
- Edit the Logging and Reporting Settings and selectPre-Defined Reports.
- In the SCTP Report section, select any of the following:SCTP Events Summary,SCTP Security Events, orSCTP Error Causes(enabled by default).
- Create a custom report on SCTP events.
- SelectandMonitorManage Custom ReportsAdda custom report.
- Enter aNamefor the report.
- For theDatabase, selectSCTPfrom Summary Databases or Detailed Logs (Slower).
- Generate Custom Reports to create your report and build queries based on SCTP elements, such as Chunk Type, PPID, and SCTP Event Type.