Define Communication Settings Between the Agent and the ESM Server
By default, the Traps agent applies a No Connection policy to all unknown executable files upon startup. The policy remains in place until the Traps agent can perform the ESM Server discovery to build a list of available servers in order of shortest path.
After the Traps agent builds the list of available servers and a user opens an unknown executable file, Traps queries the first ESM Server in the list to determine the hash verdict. If that server is unreachable or is unable to respond to the request within the maximum allotted time, the Traps agent stops trying to reach the ESM Server and assigns the executable file a No Connection verdict. If the user opens another unknown executable file before Traps determines that the ESM Server is unavailable, it will also query the first ESM Server in the list to determine the hash verdict. However, if the user opens another unknown executable file after the Traps agent determines that the ESM Server is unavailable, Traps will query the next ESM Server in the list.
The Traps agent also periodically polls the ESM server list to determine which servers are available and, of those available, which servers are closest. Other events, such as an IP address change on the endpoint, can also trigger Traps to rebuild the list of ESM Servers.
Use the following workflow to change the timeout and intervals for establishing communication with the ESM Server.
- Create a new agent settings rule.Selectand thenSettingsAgentSettingsAdda new rule.
- Define the communication settings between the Traps agent and the ESM Server.SelectCommunication Settingsand then select one or more of the following options:
If your endpoints frequently lose their connection with the server, consider increasing the timeout value.
- Set Agent-WildFire Process Verdict Timeout—Specify the amount of time (in seconds) that Traps will wait for the ESM Server to respond to a verdict request (default is 10). After the timeout period expires, Traps assigns the process aNo Connectionverdict. Traps will attempt to reestablish communication only if a user clicksCheck-In Nowon the Traps Console, or if Traps needs to query the ESM Server for unknown hash verdicts.
- Set No Connection Refresh Interval—Specify the frequency (in minutes) at which the Traps agent checks for available ESM Servers after entering aNo Connectionstate (default is 1).
- Set ESM Server Validation Interval—Specify the frequency (in hours) at which the agent will verify the integrity of the ESM Server list (default is 1).
- (Optional) Add Conditions to the rule. By default, a new rule does not contain any conditions.To specify a condition, select theConditionstab, select the condition in the Conditions list, and thenAddit to the Selected Conditions list. Repeat this step to add more conditions, as needed. You can also define new Conditions.
- (Optional) Define the Target Objects to which to apply the rule.To define a smaller subset of target objects, select theObjectstab, and then enter one or moreAD Users,AD Computers,AD Groups,AD Organizational Unit,Existing Endpoints, orExisting Groupsin the Include or Exclude areas. The Endpoint Security Manager queries Active Directory to verify the users, computers, groups, or organizational units. The ESM Console also offers autocompletion as you type for existing endpoints and existing virtual groups.
- (Optional) Review the rule name and description. The ESM Console automatically generates the rule name and description based on the rule details but permits you to change these fields, if needed.To override the autogenerated name, select theNametab, clear theActivate automatic descriptionoption, and then enter a rule name and description of your choice.
- Save the agent settings rule.Do either of the following:
After saving or applying a rule, you can return to theSettingspage at any time toDeleteorDeactivatethe rule.
- Savethe rule without activating it. This option is only available for inactive, cloned, or new rules. When you are ready to activate the rule, select the rule from thepage and then clickSettingsAgentSettingsActivate.
- Applythe rule to activate it immediately.