Install the Traps Agent for Mac
Before installing Traps on a Mac endpoint, verify that the system meets the requirements described in Traps for Mac Requirements.
Install Traps using a software distribution tool of your choice (such as JAMF) or using the following workflow:
- Download the installation package you want to install from Traps management service.
- Copy the installation package to the endpoint on which you want to install the Traps software.
- Unzip the installation package.
- (Optional in Traps 6.1.2 and later releases) Configure a Traps specific proxy on the endpoint.If you are deploying Traps in an environment where Traps agents communicate with the Traps management service through a proxy, you must assign the proxy IP address and port number during the Traps agent installation on the endpoint.
- Locate theConfig.xmlfile in the unzipped installation folder.
- Edit the<proxy_list>tag.<proxyserver>:<port></proxy_list>
- To install a Traps agent with a Traps specific proxy, enter your proxy IP address and port number. You can set up to five different proxies per agent. Traps management service chooses randomly which proxy is used to communicate with the agent each time.<proxy_list>10.196.20.244:8080,10.196.20.245:8080</proxy_list>
- After the initial installation, you can change the proxy settings in.Traps management serviceEndpoints
- Install the Traps software.
Traps logs any installation errors to/var/logs/installation.log. If installation fails for any reason, you can view this log to better understand the cause of the installation failure.
- Run theTraps.pkginstallation file.
- ClickContinueto proceed with the installation.
- If prompted to confirm the destination, clickContinue.
- ClickInstallto begin the installation.
- Enter theUser NameandPasswordof the administrator with access to install software on the endpoint, and then clickInstall Software.
- (macOS 10.13 and later versions) Allow Traps to install system extensions:
- Dismiss theSystem Extension Blockedwarning.
- Go toand selectSystem PreferencesSecurity & PrivacyGeneralAllow.
- After the installation completes, verify your connection.
- To open the Traps console, click the Traps icon in the menu bar, and selectOpen Console.
- ClickCheck In Nowto initiate a connection with your tenant of Traps management service. If successful, theLast Check-Infield updates to display the recent check-in date and time.If the Traps agent cannot register with the Traps management service, the agent does not retry registration. To retry, reinstall the Traps agent on the endpoint.
- (macOS 10.15 and later versions) Grant full disk access.Due to changes in the security settings of macOS 10.15, you must allow Traps full disk access on your endpoint to enable full protection. If you do not authorize Traps full disk access on your endpoint, the Traps agent provides only partial protection of files in the/Applicationsdirectory. The first time Traps detects an attempt to run an executable file located in another protected location on the endpoint as part of the anti-malware flow, macOS will deny Traps access and prompts the user to grant full disk access.You can grant Traps full disk access manually or using a third-party tool such as JAMF.To grant Traps full disk access locally on the endpoint:
- Go totab, and selectSystem PreferencesSecurity & PrivacyFull Disk Access.
- To make changes, click lock icon ( ) on the bottom left, enter your credentials, andUnlock.
- Navigate to.Macintosh HDLibraryApplication SupportPaloAltoNetworksTrapsbin
- Selecttrapsd,authorized, andpmd.
- When you’re done, click to save your changes and stop editing.
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.