Use In-Place Migration to Move Your VM-Series from NSX-V
Learn how to migrate your VM-Series firewall deployment from NSX-V to NSX-T.
Complete the following procedure to migrate your VM-Series firewall configuration from NSX-V to NSX-T. By migrating your configuration, you can reuse policy and dynamic address groups already configured on Panorama. This procedure refers to information and processes published in VMware documentation as well as steps specific to PAN.
This procedure supports operations-centric NSX-V deployments only. An deployment means that your policy rules for redirecting traffic to the VM-Series firewall were created in NSX-V Manager, not Panorama.
This procedure requires NSX-T Manager 3.1.0 or later.
It is recommended that plan for security downtime while performing this migration.
- Prepare your NSX-V and NSX-T environments for migration based on the steps described by VMware.
- Install the Panorama Plugin for VMware NSX 3.2.0 or later. See the Panorama Plugin for VMware NSX 3.2.0 Release Notes before upgrading.
- Configure an NSX-T service definition for each NSX-V service definition in your deployment.Do not create new device groups; instead use your existing NSX-V device groups. Using the existing device groups allows you to apply the same security policy rules used on NSX-V to the VM-Series firewalls deployed on NSX-T. If you have policy that reference a particular zone, add the same template stack from your NSX-V service definition to your NSX-T service definition. Additionally, if your device group references a particular template, ensure that you select the template stack that includes the template referenced in the device group.
- Configure an NSX-T service manager and associate the NSX-T service definitions to the service manager.
- Verify that your NSX-T configuration is present on NSX-T Manager.
- Log in to NSX-T Manager.
- Select.SystemService DeploymentsCatalog
- Confirm that your NSX-T service definition is listed.
- Select.SecurityNetwork Introspection SettingsService Profiles
- Confirm that your zones associated with your NSX-T template are listed.
- If you have not already done so, add a compute manager in NSX-T Manager. After you have verified that the Registration Status and Connection Status are up, continue below.
- Uninstall the service instance from NSX-V.This step will result in traffic disruption.
- Log in to your vSphere client.
- Select.Installation and UpgradeService Deployment
- Select your service deployment.
- ClickDeleteto confirm.
- Resolve Configuration issues on NSX-T Manager. While resolving configuration issues, you must take specific actions to migrate your VM-Series firewall configuration. In most cases, you can accept the recommendations presented by NSX-T Manager.
- When resolving service insertion configuration, verify that you selected the correct service definition that you previously configured on Panorama for the VM-Series on NSX-T.
- Continue resolving the remaining configuration.
- Before moving toMigrate Configuration, you will be asked to provide a transport zone for the service insertion.
- Map the service profiles on NSX-V to the corresponding service profiles on NSX-T.
- Auto_PAN_VendorTPL can be skipped.
- Map the NSX-T service profile to the corresponding NSX-V service profile.
- Verify that your configuration has been migrated successfully.
- Selectto verify that your IP sets and security groups are present. You can click on the security group name to see that the correct IP address are a part of the security group.InventoryGroups
- Selectto confirm that a service segment has been created.SecurityNetwork Introspection SettingsService Segment
- Selectto confirm that a service chain has been created. Click the Profiles link in the Forward Path and Reverse Path columns to view your service profile.SecurityNetwork Introspection SettingsService Chains
- Selectto confirm that a traffic redirection rule has been created to direct traffic to the service profile of the VM-Series firewall.SecurityNetwork Introspection (E-W)
- Add the NSX-T tags to you existing dynamic address groups.
- Select.PanoramaObjectsAddress Groups
- Click on the name of an existing NSX-V dynamic address group.
- ClickAdd Match Criteriato display the tags from NSX-V and NSX-T.
- Add the NSX-T tag to the dynamic address groups. If you choose not to remove the NSX-V tags, be sure to use theORoperator between the tags.
- When you have added all the necessary tags, clickOK.
- Commityour changes.
- Launch the VM-Series Firewall on NSX-T (East-West). You do not need to create a new service segment; instead select the service segment created during migration.
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.