Upgrade the PAN-OS Software Version (Standalone Version)
Now that the VM-Series firewall has network connectivity and the base PAN-OS software is installed, consider upgrading to the latest version of PAN-OS. Use the following instructions for firewalls that are not deployed in a high availability (HA) configuration. For firewalls deployed in HA, refer to the PAN-OS 8.0 New Features Guide.To minimize downtime for your users, perform upgrades during non-business hours.
- Verify that enough hardware resources are available to the VM-Series firewall. Refer to the VM-Series System Requirements to see the new resource requirements for each VM-Series model. Allocate additional hardware resources before continuing the upgrade process. The process for assigning additional hardware resources differs on each hypervisor.
- From the web interface, navigate toand make sure you have the correct VM-Series firewall license and that the license is activated.DeviceLicensesOn the VM-Series firewall standalone version, navigate toand make sure that you have activated the support license.DeviceSupport
- (Required for a firewall that is in production) Save a backup of the current configuration file.
- Selectand clickDeviceSetupOperationsExport named configuration snapshot.
- Select the XML file that contains your running configuration (for example,running-config.xml) and clickOKto export the configuration file.
- Save the exported file to a location external to the firewall. You can use this backup to restore the configuration if you have problems with the upgrade.
- Check the Release Notes to verify the Content Release version required for the PAN-OS version. The firewalls you plan to upgrade must be running the Content Release version required for the PAN-OS version.
- Select.DeviceDynamic Updates
- Check theApplications and ThreatsorApplicationssection to determine what update is currently running.
- If the firewall is not running the required update or later, clickCheck Nowto retrieve a list of available updates.
- Locate the desired update and clickDownload.
- After the download completes, clickInstall.
- Upgrade the PAN-OS version on the VM-Series firewall.
- ClickRefreshto view the latest software release and also review theRelease Notesto view a description of the changes in a release and to view the migration path to install the software.
- ClickDownloadto retrieve the software then clickInstall.
- If you are upgrading from PAN-OS 7.1 to PAN-OS 8.0, transition your VM-Series firewall from a 40GB hard disk to a 60GB hard disk.
- On your hypervisor, attach a new 60GB hard drive to the VM-Series firewall. This new disk must be 60GB. The firewall will return an error if another value is assigned.
- Access the firewall CLI.
- Use the following CLI command to create a new disk partition to copy the data from the original system disk to the new system disk.>request system clone-system-disk target sdb
- Return to your hypervisor and power off the VM-Series firewall.
- Remove the original system disk.
- Power on the VM-Series firewall.
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.