Create a new Bootstrap File from Scratch
Launch a new VM-Series firewall on AWS using the AMI for the PAN-OS version (8.0 or 8.1), without using the sample bootstrap.xml file, and export the configuration to create a new bootstrap.xml file for use with the VM-Series Auto Scaling template v2.0.
- Deploy the VM-Series Firewall on AWS (no bootstrapping required) and use the public IP address to SSH into the Command Line Interface (CLI) of the VM-Series firewall. You will need to configure a new administrative password for the firewall.
- Log in to the firewall web interface.
- (Optional) Configure the firewall. You can configure the dataplane interfaces, zones and policy rules.
- Commit the changes on the firewall.
- Export the configuration file and name it as bootstrap.xml. (DeviceSetupOperationExport Named Configuration Snapshot).
- Download the bootstrap.xml file from the GitHub repository, open it with a text editing tool, and copy lines 353 to 356. These lines define the AWS CloudWatch namespace to which the firewall publishes custom PAN-OS metrics that are required for the firewalls to auto scale.
- Edit the configuration file you exported earlier to include
the AWS CloudWatch information.Search for </management> and paste the lines 353 to 356 after </management>.
- Delete the management interface configuration.
- Search for </service> and delete the ip-address, netmask and default gateway that follow.
- Search for </type> and delete the ip-address, netmask, default gateway, and public-key that follow.
- Save the file. You can now proceed with Launch the VM-Series Auto Scaling Template for AWS (v2.0).
Customize the Bootstrap.xml File (v2.0)
Customize the Bootstrap.xml File (v2.0) The bootstrap.xml file provided in the GitHub repository uses a default username and password for the firewall administrator. Before deploying ...
What Components Does the VM-Series Auto Scaling Template for AWS (v2.0) Leverage?
What Components Does the VM-Series Auto Scaling Template for AWS (v2.0) Leverage? The VM-Series Auto Scaling template for AWS includes the following building blocks: Building ...
Modify Administrative Account and Update Stack (v2.0)
Modify Administrative Account and Update Stack (v2.0) If you have already deployed the template and now want to change the password for the administrative account ...
Plan the VM-Series Auto Scaling Template for AWS (v2.0 and v2.1)
Plan the VM-Series Auto Scaling Template for AWS (v2.0 and v2.1) The items in this checklist are actions and choices you must make for implementing ...
Launch the VM-Series Auto Scaling Template for AWS (v2.0)
Launch the VM-Series Auto Scaling Template for AWS (v2.0) You can choose to deploy the firewall template in one VPC and the sample application template ...
Enable CloudWatch Monitoring on the VM-Series Firewall
Enable CloudWatch Monitoring on the VM-Series Firewall The VM-Series firewall on AWS can publish native PAN-OS metrics to AWS CloudWatch, which you can use to ...
Bootstrap the VM-Series Firewall
Bootstrap the VM-Series Firewall Bootstrapping allows you to create a repeatable and streamlined process of deploying new VM-Series firewalls on your network because it allows ...
VM-Series Auto Scale Template for AWS Version 2.0
Learn about the VM-Series Auto Scale Template for AWS Version 2.0. ...