Upgrade the VM-Series Model
The licensing process for the VM-Series firewall uses the UUID and the CPU ID to generate a unique serial number for each VM-Series firewall. Hence, when you generate a license, the license is mapped to a specific instance of the VM-Series firewall and cannot be modified.
Use the instructions in this section, if you are:
- Migrating from an evaluation license to a production license.
- Upgrading the model to allow for increased capacity. For example you want to upgrade from the VM-100 to the VM-300 model.
A capacity upgrade restarts some critical processes on the firewall. An HA configuration is recommended to minimize service disruption; to upgrade the capacity on a HA pair, see Upgrade the VM-Series Model in an HA Pair.
- Allocate additional hardware resources to your
VM-Series firewall.Before initiating the capacity upgrade, you must verify that enough hardware resources are available to the VM-Series firewall to support the new capacity. The process for assigning additional hardware resources differs on each hypervisor.To check the hardware requirements for your new VM-Series model, see VM-Series Models.Although the capacity upgrade does not require a reboot of the VM-Series firewall, you need to power down the virtual machine to change the hardware allocation.
- Retrieve the license deactivation API key from the Customer Support Portal.
Make sure that you are using the same account that you used to register the initial license.
- Log in to the Customer Support Portal.
- From the Go To drop-down, select License API.
- Copy the API key.
- On the firewall, use the CLI to install the API key copied
in the previous step.request license api-key set key <key>
- Enable the firewall to Verify Update Server identity on DeviceSetupService.
- Commit your changes.
- Upgrade the capacity.Select DeviceLicensesUpgrade VM Capacity and then activate your licenses and subscriptions in one of the following ways:
- Retrieve license keys from license server—Use this option if you activated your license on the Customer Support portal.
- Manually upload license key—Use this option if your firewall does not have connectivity to the Palo Alto Networks Customer Support web site. In this case, you must download a license key file from the support site on an Internet connected computer and then upload to the firewall.
- Use an authorization code—Use this option to upgrade the VM-Series capacity using an authorization code for licenses that have not been previously activated on the support portal. When prompted, enter the Authorization Code and then click OK.
- Verify that your firewall is licensed successfully.On the DeviceLicenses page, verify that the license was successfully activated.
Device > Licenses
Device > Licenses Select Device Licenses to activate licenses on all firewall models. When you purchase a subscription from Palo Alto Networks, you receive an ...
Activate the License for the VM-Series Firewall (Standalone...
Activate the License for the VM-Series Firewall (Standalone Version) If you have not elected to use the bootstrapping workflow using a subscription bundle, you must ...
Upgrade the VM-Series Model in an HA Pair
Upgrade the VM-Series Model in an HA Pair Upgrading the VM-Series firewall allows you to increase the capacity on the firewall. Capacity is defined in ...
License Types—VM-Series Firewalls
License Types—VM-Series Firewalls You can license the VM-Series firewall as a Bring your own license (BYOL), Pay as you go, (PAYG), or with an Enterprise ...
Activate/Retrieve a Firewall Management License on the M-Se...
Activate/Retrieve a Firewall Management License on the M-Series Appliance In order to manage devices on Panorama, you need to activate a Capacity License. The Capacity ...
Prepare the Licenses for Bootstrapping
Prepare the Licenses for Bootstrapping To license the firewall during the bootstrapping process, you must purchase the auth codes and register the licenses and subscriptions ...
Register the VM-Series Firewall
Register the VM-Series Firewall When you purchase a VM-Series firewall, you receive an email that includes an auth code for a capacity license for the ...
Upgrade the PAN-OS Software Version (Standalone Version)
Upgrade the PAN-OS Software Version (Standalone Version) Now that the VM-Series firewall has network connectivity and the base PAN-OS software is installed, consider upgrading to ...
VM-Series Firewall Licenses for Public Clouds
VM-Series Firewall Licenses for Public Clouds The VM-Series firewall licensing strategy is the same for AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform. There are different license ...