Prepare the Licenses for Bootstrapping
To license the firewall during the bootstrapping process, you must purchase the auth codes and register the licenses and subscriptions on the Palo Alto Networks Support portal before you begin bootstrapping.
For the VM-Series firewalls running BYOL (not applicable for usage-based licensing—PAYG), you must have an auth code bundle that includes the capacity auth code, support subscription, and any other subscriptions you require. The process of preparing the licenses for bootstrapping depends on whether the firewall has internet access when bootstrapping:
- Direct Internet access—The firewall is connected directly to the Internet.
- Indirect Internet access—The firewall is managed by Panorama, which has direct Internet access and the ability to fetch the license keys on behalf of the firewall.
- No Internet access—The firewall uses an orchestration service or a custom script to fetch the license keys on behalf of the firewall.
- For VM-Series firewalls with Internet
access.Enter the auth code in the /license folder when you Prepare the Bootstrap Package.
- For VM-Series firewalls with indirect Internet access.
- Register the auth code on the Palo Alto
Networks Support portal.
- Go to support.paloaltonetworks.com, log in, and select AssetsRegister New DeviceRegister device using Serial Number or Authorization Code.
- Follow the steps to Register the VM-Series Firewall.
- Click Submit.
- Activate the auth codes on the Palo Alto Networks
Support portal to generate license keys.
- Go to support.paloaltonetworks.com, log in, and select the Assets tab.
- For each S/N, click the Action link.
- Select the Activate Auth-Code button.
- Enter the Authorization code, click Agree, and Submit.
- Download the license keys and save it to a local folder.
- Continue to Prepare the Bootstrap Package; you must add the license keys that you downloaded to the \license folder in the bootstrap package.
- Register the auth code on the Palo Alto Networks Support portal.
- For a custom script or an orchestration service that
can access the Internet on behalf of firewalls.The script or service must fetch the CPU ID and the UUID from the hypervisor on which the firewall is deployed and access the Palo Alto Networks Support portal with CPU ID, UUID, API key and the auth code to obtain the required keys. See Licensing API.
Bootstrap Package The bootstrap process is initiated only on first boot when the firewall is in a factory default state. When you attach the virtual ...
Prepare the Bootstrap Package
Prepare the Bootstrap Package Use the following procedure to prepare the bootstrap package. Create the top-level directory structure for the bootstrap package. On your local ...
Bootstrap the VM-Series Firewall
Bootstrap the VM-Series Firewall Bootstrapping allows you to create a repeatable and streamlined process of deploying new VM-Series firewalls on your network because it allows ...
Register the VM-Series Firewall with a CSSP Auth Code
Register the VM-Series Firewall with a CSSP Auth Code To activate the license on your VM-Series firewall, you must have deployed the VM-Series firewall and ...
Activate the License for the VM-Series Firewall (Standalone...
Activate the License for the VM-Series Firewall (Standalone Version) If you have not elected to use the bootstrapping workflow using a subscription bundle, you must ...
Licensing API To successfully license firewalls that do not have direct internet access, Palo Alto Networks provides a licensing API. You can use this API ...
Activate the License for the VM-Series Firewall for VMware ...
Activate the License for the VM-Series Firewall for VMware NSX Panorama serves as the central point of administration for the VM-Series firewalls for VMware NSX ...
Bootstrap Errors If you receive an error message during the bootstrapping process, refer to the following table for details. Error message (Severity) Reasons Boot image ...
VM-Series Firewall Bootstrap Workflow
VM-Series Firewall Bootstrap Workflow After you familiarize yourself with the Bootstrap Package and assess whether you will want to fully configure the firewall or use ...