MSI, IQY, and SLK File Analysis
Palo Alto Networks firewalls can now forward MSI, IQY, and SLK files to the WildFire global cloud for analysis.
To enable forwarding of MSI, IQY, and SLK files from the firewall, be sure to download and install the latest PAN-OS content release. PAN-OS Applications and Threats content release 8462 allows firewalls operating PAN-OS 8.1 and later to forward MSI, IQY, and SLK files to the WildFire cloud for analysis. For more information about the update, refer to the Applications and Threat Content Release Notes.
To download the release notes, log in to the Palo Alto Networks Support Portal, click
Dynamic Updatesand select the release notes listed under
Apps + Threats.
WildFire now supports firewall forwarding of MSI (Microsoft Installer) portable executables, as well as IQY (Microsoft Web Query) and SLK (Symbolic link) ms-office files to the WildFire cloud (all regions) for analysis. This enables the WildFire public cloud to analyze and classify .MSI, .IQY, and .SLK files with verdicts using static and dynamic analysis. The WildFire cloud uses MSI, IQY, and SLK file analysis results to generate and distribute C2 and DNS signatures used by DNS Security and URL filtering to prevent script-based attacks. To ensure that you are protected from the latest threats, always keep your firewalls up-to-date with the latest content and software updates from Palo Alto Networks.
- The WildFire appliance does not support MSI, IQY, and SLK file analysis at this time.
To forward MSI or IQY/SLK files for analysis, the
WildFire Analysis Profileon the firewall must be configured to forward
pefor MSI files or
ms-officefor IQY and SLK file types. Select any
Anyto forward all supported unknown files to the WildFire public cloud.
- Enable file type forwarding.
- SelectObjects > Security Profiles > WildFire AnalysisandAddor modify a profile to define traffic to forward for WildFire analysis.
- Add or modify a profile rule, selectfile type, and set the rule to forwardAnyfile type. Alternatively, you can also specifypefor MSI files orms-officefor IQY and SLK files, if you want to forward a specific file type.Profile rules with the file type set toAnyforward all supported file types for WildFire analysis.
- Select Destination and set the profile rule to forward the files to thepublic-cloud.
- ClickOKto save the new or modified WildFire Analysis profile.
- Attach the WildFire Analysis profile to a security policy rule—traffic matched to the policy rule is forwarded for WildFire Analysis.
- SelectPolicies > SecurityandAddor modify a security policy rule.
- SelectActionsand set theProfile TypetoProfiles.
- Select the newly-createdWildFire Analysisprofile.
- ClickOKto save the security policy rule.
- SelectMonitor > WildFire Submissionsto find WildFire verdicts and analysis reports for files that have been submitted by the firewall.
Submit files directly to the WildFire public cloud for analysis from the WildFire portal as well as the WildFire API:
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.