Exclude Video Traffic from the GlobalProtect VPN Tunnel
Exclude video streaming traffic from the VPN tunnel.
You can configure a split tunnel to exclude HTTP/HTTPS video streaming traffic to a specific domain from being sent over the VPN tunnel. This allows video traffic to go directly from the physical interfaces on the endpoint. The App-ID functionality on the firewall identifies the video stream before traffic can be split tunneled. By excluding lower risk video streaming traffic (such as YouTube and Netflix) from the VPN tunnel, you can decrease bandwidth consumption on the gateway.
All video traffic types are redirected for the following video-streaming applications:
If you exclude any other video-streaming applications from the VPN tunnel, only the following video traffic types are redirected for those applications:
Use the following steps to configure a split tunnel to exclude video streaming traffic from the VPN tunnel.
- Before you begin:
- Follow these prerequisites:
- Supported only on endpoints with Windows 7 Service Pack 2 and later releases and macOS 10.10 and later releases.
- You must ensure that the IP pools used to assign IP addresses to the virtual network adapters on these endpoints do not include any IPv6 addresses. If the physical adapter on a Windows or macOS endpoint supports only IPv4 addresses, the endpoint user cannot access the video streaming applications that you exclude from the VPN tunnel when you configure the GlobalProtect gateway to assign IPv6 addresses to the virtual network adapters on the endpoints that connect to the gateway.
- If you exclude video streaming traffic from the VPN tunnel, do not include web browser applications, such as Firefox or Chrome, in the VPN tunnel. This ensures that there is no conflicting logic in the split tunnel configuration and that your users can stream videos from web browsers.
- To exclude Sling TV app traffic from the VPN tunnel, configure a split tunnel based on an application.
- Selectto modify an existing gateway or add a new one.NetworkGlobalProtectGateways<gateway-config>
- Enable a split tunnel.
- In theGlobalProtect Gateway Configurationdialog, selectto enableAgentTunnel SettingsTunnel Mode.
- Configure the tunnel parameters for the GlobalProtect app.
- (Tunnel Mode Only) Exclude HTTP/HTTPS video streaming traffic from the VPN tunnel.
- In theGlobalProtect Gateway Configurationdialog, select.AgentVideo Traffic
- Enable the option toExclude video applications from the tunnel.If you enable this option but do not exclude specific video streaming applications from the VPN tunnel, all video streaming traffic is excluded.
- (Optional)BrowsetheApplicationslist to view all of the video streaming applications that you can exclude from the VPN tunnel. Click the add ( ) icon for the applications that you want to exclude. For example, click the add icon fordirectvto exclude DIRECTV video streaming traffic from the VPN tunnel.
- Addthe video streaming applications that you want to exclude from the VPN tunnel using theApplicationsdrop-down—a shortened version of theApplicationslist. You can add up to 200 video application entries to the list. For example, selectyoutube-streamingto exclude all YouTube-based video streaming traffic from the VPN tunnel.
- Save the gateway configuration.
- ClickOKto save the gateway configuration.
- Commityour changes.
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.