Configure DNS Sinkholing for a List of Custom Domains
To enable DNS Sinkholing for a custom list of domains, you must create an external dynamic list that includes the domains, enable the sinkhole action in an Anti-Spyware profile and attach the profile to a security policy rule. When a client attempts to access a malicious domain in the list, the firewall forges the destination IP address in the packet to the default Palo Alto Networks server or to a user-defined IP address for sinkholing.
For each custom domain included in the external dynamic list, the firewall generates DNS-based spyware signatures. The signature is named Custom Malicious DNS Query <domain name>, and is of type spyware with medium severity; each signature is a 24-byte hash of the domain name.
Each firewall platform supports a maximum of 50,000 domain names total in one or more External Dynamic List but no maximum limit is enforced for any one list.
- Enable DNS sinkholing for the custom list of domains in an external dynamic list.
- Select.ObjectsSecurity ProfilesAnti-Spyware
- Modify an existing profile, or select one of the existing default profiles and clone it.
- Namethe profile and select theDNS Signaturestab.
- AddanExternal Dynamic List. When you configure the external dynamic list from the Anti-Spyware profile, theTypeis preset toDomain List.If you have already created an external dynamic list of type: Domain List, you can select it from here. The drop-down does not display external dynamic lists of type URL or IP Address that you may have created.
- Configure access to the external dynamic list.
- Enter a descriptiveNamefor the list.
- Enter theSourcefor the list you just created on the web server. The source must include the full path to access the list. For example, https://188.8.131.52/EDL_IP_2015.
- ClickTest Source URLto verify that the firewall can connect to the list on the web server.If the web server is unreachable after the connection is established, the firewall or Panorama uses the last successfully retrieved list for enforcing policy until the connection is restored with the web server.
- (Optional) Specify theRepeatfrequency at which the firewall retrieves the list. By default, the list is retrieved once every hour.
- (Optional) In thePacket Capturedrop-down, selectsingle-packetto capture the first packet of the session orextended-captureto set between 1-50 packets. You can then use the packet captures for further analysis.
- Verify the sinkholing settings on the Anti-Spyware profile.
- On theDNS Signaturestab, verify that theActionon DNS Queriesissinkhole.
- In the Sinkhole section, verify thatSinkholeis enabled. For your convenience, the default Sinkhole IP address is set to access a Palo Alto Networks server. Palo Alto Networks can automatically refresh this IP address through content updates.
- ClickOKto save the Anti-Spyware profile.
- Attach the Anti-Spyware profile to a Security policy rule.
- On theActionstab, select theLog at Session Startcheck box to enable logging.
- In the Profile Setting section, click theProfile Typedrop-down to view allProfiles. From theAnti-Spywaredrop-down and select the new profile.
- ClickOKto save the policy rule.
- Test that the policy action is enforced.
- Access a domain in the external dynamic list.
- To monitor the activity on the firewall:
- SelectACCand add a URL Domain as a global filter to view the Threat Activity and Blocked Activity for the domain you accessed.
- Selectand filter by (MonitorLogsThreatactioneq sinkhole) to view logs on sinkholed domains.
- Verify whether entries in the external dynamic list are ignored or skipped.In a list of type URL, the firewall skips entries that are not URLs as invalid and ignores entries that exceed the maximum limit for the platform.Use the following CLI command on the firewall to review the details about the list.request system external-list show type domain name <list_name>For example:request system external-list show type domain name My_List_of_Domains_2015 vsys1/EBLDomain: Next update at : Thu May 21 10:15:39 2015 Source :https://184.108.40.206/My_List_of_Domains_2015 Referenced : Yes Valid : Yes Number of entries : 3 domains: www.example.com baddomain.com qqq.abcedfg.com
- (Optional) Retrieve the external dynamic list on-demand.To force the firewall to retrieve the updated list on-demand instead of at the next refresh interval (theRepeatfrequency you defined for the external dynamic list), use the following CLI command:request system external-list refresh type domain name<list_name>