Configure an Interface as a DHCP Client
Before configuring a firewall interface as a DHCP client, make sure you have configured a Layer 3 interface (Ethernet, Ethernet subinterface, VLAN, VLAN subinterface, aggregate, or aggregate subinterface), and the interface is assigned to a virtual router and a zone. Perform this task if you need to use DHCP to request an IPv4 address for an interface on your firewall.
- Configure an interface as a DHCP client.
- On theEthernettab or theVLANtab,Adda Layer 3 interface, or select a configured Layer 3 interface, that you want to be a DHCP client.
- Select theIPv4tab; forType, selectDHCP Client.
- (Optional) SelectAutomatically create default route pointing to default gateway provided by server. This causes the firewall to create a static route to a default gateway that will be useful when clients are trying to access many destinations that do not need to have routes maintained in a routing table on the firewall.
- (Optional) SelectSend Hostnameto assign a hostname to the DHCP client interface and send that hostname (Option 12) to a DHCP server, which can register the hostname with the DNS server. The DNS server can then automatically manage hostname-to-dynamic IP address resolutions. External hosts can identify the interface by its hostname. The default value indicatessystem-hostname, which is the firewall hostname that you set in. Alternatively, enter a hostname for the interface, which can be a maximum of 64 characters, including uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, period (.), hyphen (-), and underscore (_).DeviceSetupManagementGeneral Settings
- (Optional) Enter aDefault Route Metric(priority level) for the route between the firewall and the DHCP server (range is 1-65535; there is no default metric). A route with a lower number has higher priority during route selection. For example, a route with a metric of 10 is used before a route with a metric of 100.
- (Optional) SelectShow DHCP Client Runtime Infoto see all of the settings the client has inherited from its DHCP server.
- Commit your changes.ClickOKandCommit.Now the Ethernet interface indicatesDynamic-DHCP Clientin itsIP Addressfield on theEthernettab.
- (Optional) See which interfaces on the firewall are configured as DHCP clients.
- Selectand look in theNetworkInterfacesEthernetIP Addressfield to see which interfaces indicate DHCP Client.
- Selectand look in theNetworkInterfacesVLANIP Addressfield to see which interfaces indicate DHCP Client.
DHCP Client Network > Interfaces > Ethernet > IPv4 Network > Interfaces > VLAN > IPv4 Before configuring a firewall interface as a DHCP client ...
Configure an Interface as a DHCP Relay Agent
Configure an Interface as a DHCP Relay Agent To enable a firewall interface to transmit DHCP messages between clients and servers , you must configure ...
PA-7000 Series Layer 3 Interface
PA-7000 Series Layer 3 Interface Network > Interfaces > Ethernet To configure a Layer 3 interface, select an interface (ethernet1/1, for example) and specify the ...
Configure the Management Interface as a DHCP Client
Configure the Management Interface as a DHCP Client The management interface on the firewall supports DHCP client for IPv4, which allows the management interface to ...
Configure an Interface as a DHCP Server
Configure an Interface as a DHCP Server The prerequisites for this task are: Configure a Layer 3 Ethernet or Layer 3 VLAN interface. Assign the ...
Layer 3 Subinterface
Layer 3 Subinterface Network > Interfaces > Ethernet For each Ethernet port configured as a physical Layer 3 interface, you can define additional logical Layer ...
Network > Interfaces > VLAN
Network > Interfaces > VLAN A VLAN interface can provide routing into a Layer 3 network (IPv4 and IPv6). You can add one or more ...
Hostname Option Support for DHCP Clients
Send the hostname of a DHCP client interface to the DHCP server, which can register the hostname with the DNS server. The DNS server can ...
DHCP Server Network > DHCP > DHCP Server The following section describes each component of the DHCP server. Before you configure a DHCP server, you ...