Install Updates for Panorama When Not Internet-Connected
If Panorama™ does not have a direct connection to the internet, perform the following steps to install Panorama software and content updates as needed. If Panorama is deployed in a high availability (HA) configuration, you must upgrade each peer (see Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration).
Upgrading the software on the Panorama virtual appliance does not change the system mode; switching to Panorama mode or Management Only mode is a manual task that requires additional settings as described when you Set Up the Panorama Virtual Appliance with Local Log Collector.
Before updating Panorama, refer to the Release Notes for the minimum content release version required for PAN-OS® 8.1.
For Panorama on Azure, additional steps must be taken to successfully upgrade the software version. To upgrade, you need to export the Panorama configuration, upgrade the content and software versions, and import the configuration to the Panorama management server once you successfully upgrade.
- Verify that the updates you plan to install are appropriate for your Panorama deployment.
- Save a backup of the current Panorama configuration file that you can use to restore the configuration if you have problems with the upgrade.Although Panorama automatically creates a backup of the configuration, best practice is to create and externally store a backup before you upgrade.
- Save named Panorama configuration snapshot(), enter aPanoramaSetupOperationsNamefor the configuration, and clickOK.
- Export named Panorama configuration snapshot, select theNameof the configuration you just saved, clickOK, and save the exported file to a location that is external to Panorama.
- Determine which content updates you need to install.Palo Alto Networks highly recommends that Panorama, Log Collectors, and all managed firewalls run the same content release version.
- For each content update, determine whether you need updates and which content updates you need to download in the following step.Ensure that Panorama is running the same but not a later content release version than is running on managed firewalls and Log Collectors.
- (As needed) Before you update the content release version on Panorama, be sure to upgrade managed firewalls and then Log Collectors (see Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Internet-Connected) to the same (or a later) content release version.
- (As needed) Download content updates to a host that can connect and upload content to Panorama either over SCP or HTTPS.
- Use a host that has internet access to log in to the Palo Alto Networks Customer Support website.
- Download content updates as needed:
- Clickin the Resources section.UpdatesDynamic Updates
- Downloadthe appropriate content updates and save the files to the host. Perform this step for each content type you need to update.
- Install content updates as needed.Install the Applications or Applications and Threats update first, and then install any other updates (Antivirus, WildFire,® and URL Filtering), one at a time, and in any sequence.Regardless whether your subscription includes both Applications and Threats content, Panorama installs and needs only the Applications content. For details, see Panorama, Log Collector, Firewall, and WildFire Version Compatibility.In Panorama (), perform the following steps for each content type:PanoramaDynamic Updates
- ClickUpload, select the contentType,Browseto the location on the host to which you downloaded the update, select the update, and clickOK.
- Install From File, select thePackage Type, and clickOK.
- Check which version has a check mark in the Currently Installed column () and make a list of all versions in your upgrade path that you need to download from the Palo Alto Networks update server so that you can upload each to the appliance as needed when you upgrade.PanoramaSoftware
- Download the software updates to a host that can connect and upload content to Panorama either over SCP or HTTPS.
- Use a host with internet access to log in to the Palo Alto Networks Customer Support web site.
- Download software updates:
- On the main page of Palo Alto Networks Customer Support website, click.UpdatesSoftware Updates
- For the first (or next) Panorama release in your upgrade path, identify the model-specific file. For example, to upgrade an M-Series appliance to Panorama 8.0.8, download thePanorama_m-8.0.8image; to upgrade a Panorama virtual appliance to Panorama 8.0.8, download thePanorama_pc-8.0.8image.You can quickly locate Panorama images by selectingPanorama M Images(M-Series appliances) orPanorama Updates(virtual appliances) from theFilter Bydrop-down.
- Click the filename and save the file to the host.
- Install the software updates.For each release in your upgrade path (starting with the earliest), perform the following steps:
- Click Upload ().PanoramaSoftware
- Browseto the location on the host to which you downloaded the update, select the update,Sync To Peerif Panorama is in an HA configuration (to push the software image to the secondary peer), and clickOK.
- Install the software image and reboot.For an HA configuration, Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration; otherwise:
- Install the downloaded image.
- After you successfully complete the installation, reboot using one of the following methods:
- If prompted to reboot, clickYes. If you see a CMS Login prompt, press Enter without typing a username or password. When the Panorama login prompt appears, enter the username and password you specified during initial configuration.
- If you are not prompted to reboot,Reboot Panoramafrom the Device Operations section ().PanoramaSetupOperations
- (Panorama on Azure only) Load the exported Panorama config from Step 2.
- Import named Panorama configuration snapshot(),PanoramaSetupOperationsBrowseand select the Panorama configuration file, and clickOK.
- Load named Panorama configuration snapshot, select theNameof the configuration you just imported, enter theDecryption Keyif required and clickOK.
- Commit the Panorama configuration by enter the following commands:admin>configureadmin>commit force
- (Required if you upgraded from a 7.1 or earlier release)Migrate Panorama Logs to the New Log Format.When you upgrade to a Panorama 8.0 or later release, Panorama Log Collectors use a new log storage format. Because Panorama can no longer generate reports or ACC data from logs in the pre-8.0-release log format, you must migrate the existing logs as soon as you upgrade Panorama and its Log Collectors from a PAN-OS 7.1 or earlier release to a PAN-OS 8.0 or later release. Log migration is a one-time task; after you migrate the logs on the Log Collector as part an upgrade to a PAN-OS 8.0 or later release, you do not need to migrate them again.
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.