Install Updates for Panorama with an Internet Connection
If Panorama™ has a direct connection to the internet, perform the following steps to install Panorama software and content updates as needed. If Panorama is running in a high availability (HA) configuration, upgrade the Panorama software on each peer (see Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration).
Upgrading the software on the Panorama virtual appliance does not change the system mode; switching to Panorama mode or Management Only mode is a manual task that requires additional settings as described when you Set Up the Panorama Virtual Appliance with Local Log Collector.
PAN-OS® 9.0 introduces a new log data format for local and Dedicated Log Collectors. When you upgrade to PAN-OS 9.0, existing log data is automatically migrated to the new PAN-OS 9.0 format. During reformatting, log data is not visible in the
Monitortabs. Additionally, new log data is not forwarded to Log Collectors until reformatting is complete. While the reformatting takes place, new logs are written to the firewall system disk and after the procedure is successfully completed, the new logs are forwarded to the appropriate Log Collector.
You must upgrade all Log Collectors in a collector group at the same time to avoid losing log data loss. No log forwarding or log collection occurs if the Log Collectors in a collector group are not all running the same PAN-OS version. Additionally, the log data for the Log Collectors in the collector group is not visible in the
Monitortabs until all Log Collectors are running the same PAN-OS version. For example, if you have three Log Collectors in a collector group and you upgrade two of the Log Collectors, then no logs are forwarded to any Log Collectors in the collector group.
Before updating Panorama, refer to the Release Notes. for the minimum content release version required for PAN-OS 9.0.
For Panorama on Azure, you must perform additional steps before you can successfully upgrade the software version. To upgrade, you need to export the Panorama configuration, upgrade the content and software versions, and import the configuration to the Panorama management server after you successfully upgrade.
For M-100 appliances, Palo Alto Networks requires upgrading the memory to 32GB or more for management and log collection tasks. See the M-100 Memory Upgrade Guide before upgrading your M-100 appliance to PAN-OS 9.0.0.
- Verify that the updates you plan to install are appropriate for your Panorama deployment.
- Save a backup of the current Panorama configuration file that you can use to restore the configuration if you have problems with the upgrade.Although Panorama automatically creates a backup of the configuration, best practice is to create and externally store a backup before you upgrade.
- Save named Panorama configuration snapshot(), enter aPanoramaSetupOperationsNamefor the configuration, and clickOK.
- Export named Panorama configuration snapshot, select theNameof the configuration you just saved, clickOK, and save the exported file to a location that is external to Panorama.
- (As needed) Install content updates.If Panorama is not running the minimum content versions required for the Panorama release to which you intend to upgrade, you must update content versions to the minimum (or later) versions before you install the software updates. Refer to Release Notes for minimum content release version for a Panorama release.Palo Alto Networks® highly recommends that Panorama, Log Collectors, and all managed firewalls run the same content release version. Additionally, we recommend that you schedule automatic, recurring updates so that you are always running the latest content versions (refer to 9).
- Check Now() for the latest updates. If the value in the Action column isPanoramaDynamic UpdatesDownload, an update is available.Ensure that Panorama is running the same but not a later content release version than is running on managed firewalls and Log Collectors.
- (As needed) Before you update the content release version on Panorama, be sure to upgrade managed firewalls and then Log Collectors (see Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Internet-Connected) to the same (or a later) content release version.If you do not need to install content updates at this time, then skip ahead to the next step.
- Install remaining content updates, as needed. When installed, the Currently Installed column displays a check mark.
- DownloadandInstallthe Applications or Applications and Threats update. Regardless of your subscription, Panorama installs and needs only the Applications content update, not the Threats content. For details, see Panorama, Log Collector, Firewall, and WildFire Version Compatibility.
- DownloadandInstallother updates (Antivirus, WildFire®, or URL Filtering) as needed, one at a time, and in any sequence.
- You cannot skip the installation of any feature release versions in the path from the currently running PAN-OS version to PAN-OS 9.0. Review the known issues and changes to default behavior in the Release Notes and upgrade/downgrade considerations in the New Features Guide for each release through which you pass as part of your upgrade path.(Required if you are upgrading from a 7.1 or earlier release) PAN-OS 8.0 introduced a new log storage format. After upgrading to PAN-OS 8.0, you must Migrate Panorama Logs to the New Log Format before continuing in your upgrade path. Log migration is a one-time task; if you already migrated the logs on the Log Collector for an upgrade to PAN-OS 8.0, you do not need to migrate them again.If upgrading more than one Log Collector, streamline the process by determining the upgrade paths for all Log Collectors you intend to upgrade before you start downloading images.
- Install Panorama 9.0.
- Check Now() for the latest releases. If a software release is available, the Action column displaysPanoramaSoftwareDownload.
- Locate andDownloadthe model-specific file for the release version to which you are upgrading. For example, to upgrade an M-Series appliance to Panorama 9.0.0, download thePanorama_m-9.0.0image; to upgrade a Panorama virtual appliance to Panorama 9.0.0, download thePanorama_pc-9.0.0image. After a successful download, the Action column changes fromDownloadtoInstallfor the downloaded image.
- (You cannot skip installation of any feature release versions in the path from the currently running PAN-OS version to PAN-OS 9.0.0.) Install the downloaded image and then reboot.
- Install the image.
- After the installation completes successfully, reboot using one of the following methods:
- If prompted to reboot, clickYes. If you see a CMS Login prompt, press Enter without typing a username or password. When the Panorama login prompt appears, enter the username and password you specified during initial configuration.
- If you are not prompted to reboot,Reboot Panoramafrom the Device Operations section ().PanoramaSetupOperations
- Check the status of the log format migration after a successful upgrade to PAN-OS 9.0.
- Log in to the Panorama CLI of the Log Collector.
- Run the following command to check the status of the log format migration:admin>debug logdb show-es-upgrade-timeExample response when the log format migration is still in progress:Response from logger 23456212: 50.98% of indices upgraded complete. Approximately less than a minute remaining until migration is complete. Once the log migration is complete, please run the ‘show log-collector-es-cluster health’ command to check the ElasticSearch cluster status to verify logging and reporting functionality is restored.Response when the log format migration is completed:Response from logger 23456212: 100% of indices complete. Please run the ‘show log-collector-es-cluster health’ command to check the ElasticSearch cluster status to verify logging and reporting functionality is restored.
- After the log format migration is complete, run the following command to check the status of the ElasticSearch cluster before you continue to the next step:admin>show log-collector-es-cluster healthContinue to the next step when the“status”of the ElasticSearch cluster health displays“green”:
- (Panorama on Azure only) Load the exported Panorama configuration from Step 2.
- Import named Panorama configuration snapshot(),PanoramaSetupOperationsBrowseand select the Panorama configuration file, and clickOK.
- Load named Panorama configuration snapshot, select theNameof the configuration you just imported, enter theDecryption Keyif required and clickOK.
- Commit the Panorama configuration by enter the following commands:admin>configureadmin>commit force
- (If local Log Collector is in a Collector Group) Upgrade the remaining Log Collectors in the Collector Group.
- (Best Practice) Schedule recurring, automatic content updates.Panorama does not synchronize content update schedules across HA peers. You must perform this task on both the active and passive Panorama.In the header row for each update type (), thePanoramaDynamic UpdatesScheduleis initially set toNone. Perform the following steps for each update type.
- ClickNoneand select the update frequency (Recurrence). The frequency options depend on the update type.
- Select the schedule action:
- Download And Install(Best Practice)—Panorama automatically installs updates after downloading them.
- Download Only—You must manually install updates after Panorama downloads them.
- Based on the best practices for the security posture of your organization, configure a delay (Threshold) after an update becomes available before Panorama downloads the update.
- ClickOKto save your changes.
- SelectandCommitCommit to PanoramaCommityour changes.
Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Internet-Connected
Upgrade Log Collector software to PAN-OS® 8.1 and install content updates using Panorama™ when Panorama is connected to the internet. ...
Install Updates for Panorama When Not Internet-Connected
Install Updates for Panorama When Not Internet-Connected If Panorama™ does not have a direct connection to the internet, perform the following steps to install Panorama ...
Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Not Internet-Connec...
Upgrade Log Collector software to PAN-OS® 8.1 and install content updates using Panorama™ when Panorama is not connected to the internet. ...
Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration
Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration To ensure a seamless failover when you update the Panorama software in a high availability (HA) configuration, ...
Migrate Panorama Logs to the New Log Format
Migrate Panorama Logs to the New Log Format After you upgrade to a Panorama 8.0 or later release, Panorama Log Collectors use a new log ...
Upgrade Firewalls Using Panorama
Follow these steps to upgrade your Panorama-managed firewalls to PAN-OS 9.0. ...
Install Content and Software Updates for Panorama
Install Content and Software Updates for Panorama A valid support subscription enables access to the Panorama software image and release notes. To take advantage of ...
Upgrade Firewalls When Panorama is Internet-Connected
Procedure to upgrade managed firewalls when Panorama is Internet connected. ...
Deploy Upgrades to Firewalls, Log Collectors, and WildFire Appliances Using Panorama
Use Panorama™ to test software and content updates on a subset of firewalls and Dedicated Log Collectors before you deploy to all your firewalls and ...