When you no longer need a BYOL instance of the VM-Series firewall, you can free up all active licenses—subscription licenses, VM-Capacity licenses, and support entitlements— using the web interface, CLI, or the XML API on the firewall or Panorama. The licenses are credited back to your account and you can use the same authorization codes on a different instance of the VM-Series firewall.
Deactivating a VM removes all the licenses/entitlements and places the VM-Series firewall in an unlicensed state; the firewall will not have a serial number and can support only a minimal number of sessions. Because the configuration on the firewall is left intact, you can re-apply a set of licenses and restore complete functionality on the firewall, if needed.
Make sure to deactivate licenses before you delete the VM-Series firewall. If you delete the firewall before deactivating the licenses you have two options:
- If the device was managed by Panorama, you can deactivate the license from Panorama.
- If the device was not managed by Panorama, you must contact Palo Alto Networks Customer Support.
- From the firewall
- Log into the web interface and select.DeviceLicenses
- SelectDeactivate VMin the License Management section.
- Verify the list of licenses/entitlements that will be deactivated on the firewall.
- Pick one of the following options to start deactivating the VM:
- ClickContinue, if the firewall can communicate directly with the Palo Alto Networks Licensing server. You will be prompted to reboot the firewall; on reboot the licenses are deactivated.
- ClickComplete Manually, if the firewall does not have internet access. Click theExport license tokenlink to save the token file to your local computer. For example, the token filename is 20150128_1307_dact_lic.01282015.130737.tok. You will be prompted to reboot the firewall; on reboot the licenses are deactivated.
- (Manual process only) Complete the following tasks to register the changes with the Licensing server:
- From Panorama
- Log in to the Panorama web interface and select.PanoramaDevice DeploymentLicenses
- Deactivate VMsand select the VM-Series firewall that you want to deactivate.
- Pick one of the following options to deactivate the VM:
- Continue—If Panorama can communicate directly with the Palo Alto Networks Licensing servers and can register the changes. To verify that the licenses have been deactivated on the firewall, click. The firewall is automatically rebooted.Refresh on PanoramaDevice DeploymentLicenses
- Complete Manually—If Panorama does not have internet access. Panorama generates a token file. Click theExport license tokenlink to save the token file to your local computer. The successful completion message is displayed on-screen, and the firewall will be automatically rebooted.
- (Manual process only) To use the token file register the changes with the licensing server, see step e above.
- Remove the deactivated VM-Series firewall as a managed device on Panorama.
- Select.PanoramaManaged Devices
- Select the firewall that you deactivated from the list of managed devices, and clickDelete.Instead of deleting the firewalls, if you prefer, you can create a separate device group and assign the deactivated VM-Series firewalls to this device group.
Deactivate the License(s)
Deactivate the License(s) The license deactivation process enables you to self-manage licenses. Whether you want to remove one or more active licenses or subscriptions attributed ...
Manage Firewall Licenses
Manage Firewall Licenses Panorama > Device Deployment > Licenses Select Panorama Device Deployment Licenses to perform the following tasks: Update licenses of firewalls that don’t ...
Device > Licenses
Device > Licenses Select Device Licenses to activate licenses on all firewall models. When you purchase a subscription from Palo Alto Networks, you receive an ...
Install a License Deactivation API Key
Install a License Deactivation API Key Retrieve your license API key from the Customer Support Portal and install it using the CLI on the firewall ...
Deactivate a Feature License or Subscription Using the CLI
Deactivate a Feature License or Subscription Using the CLI If you accidentally installed a license/subscription on a firewall and need to reassign the license to ...
License the VM-Series Firewall
License the VM-Series Firewall Before you can start using your VM-Series firewall to secure east-west and north-south traffic on your network, you must activate the ...
Deactivate Licenses URL : https://api.paloaltonetworks.com/api/license/deactivate Parameters : encryptedToken To deactivate the license(s) on a firewall that does not have direct internet access, you must generate ...
Activate the License
Activate the License To activate the license on your VM-Series firewall, you must have deployed the VM-Series firewall and completed initial configuration. To deploy the ...
Activate the License for the VM-Series Firewall (Standalone...
Activate the License for the VM-Series Firewall (Standalone Version) If you have not elected to use the bootstrapping workflow using a subscription bundle, you must ...