Install Updates for Panorama When Not Internet-Connected
If Panorama™ does not have a direct connection to the internet, perform the following steps to install Panorama software and content updates as needed. If Panorama is deployed in a high availability (HA) configuration, you must upgrade each peer (see Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration).
Upgrading the software on the Panorama virtual appliance does not change the system mode; switching to Panorama mode or Management Only mode is a manual task that requires additional settings as described when you Set Up the Panorama Virtual Appliance with Local Log Collector.
PAN-OS® 9.0 introduces a new log data format for local and Dedicated Log Collectors. On your upgrade path to PAN-OS 10.0, existing log data is automatically migrated to the new format when you upgrade to PAN-OS 10.0. During reformatting, log data is not visible in the
Monitortabs. Additionally, new log data is not forwarded to Log Collectors until reformatting is complete. While the reformatting takes place, new logs are written to the firewall system disk and after the procedure is successfully completed, the new logs are forwarded to the appropriate Log Collector.
You must upgrade all Log Collectors in a collector group at the same time to avoid losing log data loss. No log forwarding or log collection occurs if the Log Collectors in a collector group are not all running the same PAN-OS version. Additionally, the log data for the Log Collectors in the collector group is not visible in the
Monitortabs until all Log Collectors are running the same PAN-OS version. For example, if you have three Log Collectors in a collector group and you upgrade two of the Log Collectors, then no logs are forwarded to any Log Collectors in the collector group.
Before you upgrade Panorama, refer to the Release Notes for the minimum content release version required for PAN-OS® 10.0.
For Panorama on Azure, you must perform additional steps before you can successfully upgrade the software version. To upgrade, you need to export the Panorama configuration, upgrade the content and software versions, and import the configuration to the Panorama management server after you successfully upgrade.
- Verify that the updates you plan to install are appropriate for your Panorama deployment.
- Save a backup of the current Panorama configuration file that you can use to restore the configuration if you have problems with the upgrade.Although Panorama automatically creates a backup of the configuration, best practice is to create and externally store a backup before you upgrade.
- Save named Panorama configuration snapshot(), enter aPanoramaSetupOperationsNamefor the configuration, and clickOK.
- Export named Panorama configuration snapshot, select theNameof the configuration you just saved, clickOK, and save the exported file to a location that is external to Panorama.
- Determine which content updates you need to install.Palo Alto Networks highly recommends that Panorama, Log Collectors, and all managed firewalls run the same content release version.
- For each content update, determine whether you need updates and which content updates you need to download in the following step.Ensure that Panorama is running the same but not a later content release version than is running on managed firewalls and Log Collectors.
- (As needed) Before you update the content release version on Panorama, be sure to upgrade managed firewalls and then Log Collectors (see Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Internet-Connected) to the same (or a later) content release version.
- You cannot skip the installation of any feature release versions in the path from the currently running PAN-OS version to PAN-OS 10.0. Review the known issues and changes to default behavior in the Release Notes and upgrade/downgrade considerations in the New Features Guide for each release through which you pass as part of your upgrade path.(Required if you are upgrading from a 7.1 or earlier release) PAN-OS 8.0 introduced a new log storage format. After upgrading to PAN-OS 8.0, you must migrate Panorama logs to the new log format before continuing in your upgrade path. Log migration is a one-time task; if you already migrated the logs on the Log Collector for an upgrade to PAN-OS 8.0, you do not need to migrate them again.If upgrading more than one Log Collector, streamline the process by determining the upgrade paths for all Log Collectors you intend to upgrade before you start downloading images.
- (As needed) Download content updates to a host that can connect and upload content to Panorama either over SCP or HTTPS.
- Use a host that has internet access to log in to the Palo Alto Networks Customer Support website.
- Download content updates as needed:
- Clickin the Resources section.UpdatesDynamic Updates
- Downloadthe appropriate content updates and save the files to the host. Perform this step for each content type you need to update.
- Install content updates as needed.Install the Applications or Applications and Threats update first, and then install any other updates (Antivirus, WildFire®, and URL Filtering), one at a time, and in any sequence.Regardless whether your subscription includes both Applications and Threats content, Panorama installs and needs only the Applications content. For details, see Panorama, Log Collector, Firewall, and WildFire Version Compatibility.In Panorama (), perform the following steps for each content type:PanoramaDynamic Updates
- ClickUpload, select the contentType,Browseto the location on the host to which you downloaded the update, select the update, and clickOK.
- Install From File, select thePackage Type, and clickOK.
- Download the software updates to a host that can connect and upload content to Panorama either over SCP or HTTPS.
- Use a host with internet access to log in to the Palo Alto Networks Customer Support web site.
- Download software updates:
- On the main page of Palo Alto Networks Customer Support website, click.UpdatesSoftware Updates
- For the first (or next) Panorama release in your upgrade path, identify the model-specific file. For example, to upgrade an M-Series appliance to Panorama 10.0.0, download thePanorama_m-10.0.0image; to upgrade a Panorama virtual appliance to Panorama 10.0.0, download thePanorama_pc-10.0.0image.You can quickly locate Panorama images by selectingPanorama M Images(M-Series appliances) orPanorama Updates(virtual appliances) from theFilter Bydrop-down.
- Click the filename and save the file to the host.
- Install Panorama 10.0.For each release in your upgrade path (starting with the earliest), perform the following steps:
- Click Upload ().PanoramaSoftware
- Browseto the location on the host to which you downloaded the update, select the update,Sync To Peerif Panorama is in an HA configuration (to push the software image to the secondary peer), and clickOK.
- Install the software image and reboot.For an HA configuration, Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration; otherwise:
- Install the downloaded image.
- After you successfully complete the installation, reboot using one of the following methods:
- If prompted to reboot, clickYes. If you see a CMS Login prompt, press Enter without typing a username or password. When the Panorama login prompt appears, enter the username and password you specified during initial configuration.
- If you are not prompted to reboot,Reboot Panoramafrom the Device Operations section ().PanoramaSetupOperations
- Check the status of the log format migration after a successfully upgrade to PAN-OS 10.0.
- Log in to the Panorama CLI of the Log Collector.
- Run the following command to check the status of the log format migration:admin>debug logdb show-es-upgrade-timeExample response when the log format migration is still in progress:Response from logger 23456212: 50.98% of indices upgraded complete. Approximately less than a minute remaining until migration is complete. Once the log migration is complete, please run the ‘show log-collector-es-cluster health’ command to check the ElasticSearch cluster status to verify logging and reporting functionality is restored.Response when the log format migration is completed:Response from logger 23456212: 100% of indices complete. Please run the ‘show log-collector-es-cluster health’ command to check the ElasticSearch cluster status to verify logging and reporting functionality is restored.
- After log format migration is completee, run the following command to check the status of the ElasticSearch cluster before you continue to the next step:admin>show log-collector-es-cluster healthContinue to the next step when the“status”of the ElasticSearch cluster health displays“green”:
- (Panorama on Azure only) Load the exported Panorama configuration from Step 2.
- Import named Panorama configuration snapshot(),PanoramaSetupOperationsBrowseand select the Panorama configuration file, and clickOK.
- Load named Panorama configuration snapshot, select theNameof the configuration you just imported, enter theDecryption Keyif required and clickOK.
- Commit the Panorama configuration by enter the following commands:admin>configureadmin>commit force
- (If local Log Collector is in a Collector Group) Upgrade the remaining Log Collectors in the Collector Group.
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.