Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Internet-Connected
Upgrade Log Collector software to PAN-OS® 8.1 and install content updates using Panorama™ when Panorama is connected to the internet.
For a list of software and content updates you can install on Log Collectors, see Supported Updates.
- Before you upgrade Log Collectors, ensure that
you are running the appropriate Panorama™ software release on the
Panorama management server.Palo Alto Networks® highly recommends that Panorama and Log Collectors run the same Panorama software release and that Panorama, Log Collectors, and all managed firewalls run the same content release version.Panorama must be running the same (or later) software release as Log Collectors but must have the same or an earlier content release version:
To check software and content versions:
- Software release version—If your Panorama management server is not already running the same or a later software release than the release to which you intend to update Log Collectors, then you must install the same or a later Panorama release on Panorama (see Install Content and Software Updates for Panorama) before you update any Log Collectors.
- Content release version—For content release versions, you should ensure that all Log Collectors are running the latest content release version or, at minimum, running a later version than is running on Panorama; if not, then first update managed firewalls (using Panorama) and then update Log Collectors before you update the content release version on the Panorama management server.
- Panorama management server—To determine what software and content versions are running on the Panorama management server, log in to the Panorama web interface and go to General Information settings (Dashboard).
- Log Collectors—To determine what software and content versions are running on Log Collectors, log in to the CLI of each Log Collector and run the show system info command.
- Install the latest content updates.
- Check Now (PanoramaDevice DeploymentDynamic Updates) for the latest updates. If an update is available, the Action column displays a Download link.
- If not already installed, Download the appropriate content updates. After a successful download, the link in the Action column changes from Download to Install.
- Install the content update (Applications
or Applications and Threats update) before any others:Click Install, select the Log Collectors, and click OK.Regardless whether your subscription includes both Applications and Threats content, Panorama installs and needs only the Applications content. For details, see Panorama, Log Collector, Firewall, and WildFire Version Compatibility.
- Repeat step c for any other updates (Antivirus, WildFire, or URL Filtering) as needed, one at a time, and in any sequence.
the software upgrade path for the Log Collectors that you intend
to upgrade to Panorama 8.1. Refer to the New Features Guide for the upgrade path
to a PAN-OS 8.1 release.Check which Software Version is running on each Log Collector you intend to upgrade (PanoramaManaged Collectors) and take note of each release you need to download in your path to Panorama 8.1.If upgrading more than one Log Collector, streamline the process by determining the upgrade paths for all Log Collectors you intend to upgrade before you start downloading images.
- For all Log Collectors you intend to update, use the
upgrade path(s) identified in Step 3 to
upgrade Log Collectors to your target Panorama release.
- On Panorama, Check Now (PanoramaDevice DeploymentSoftware) for the latest updates. If an update is available, the Action column displays a Download link.
- For each release in your upgrade path, Download the
model-specific file for the release version to which you are upgrading.
For example, to upgrade an M-Series appliance to Panorama 8.0.8,
download the Panorama_m-8.0.8 image.After a successful download, the Action column changes from Download to Install for that image.
- Click Install for the first (or next) version in your upgrade path and select the appropriate Log Collectors.
- Select one of the following depending on the version
you are installing within your upgrade path (Step 3):
As a best practice, if your upgrade path includes upgrading to Panorama 8.0.3 (or a later 8.0 release), reboot the appliance after you install the Panorama 8.0.2 base image and before you download and install the maintenance release.
- Upload only to device (do not install).
- Reboot device after install.
- Click OK to start the installation (or upload).
- Repeat steps c through e until Log Collectors are running the desired release.
- Verify the software and content update versions that
are installed on the Log Collector.Log in to the Log Collector CLI and enter the show system info operational command. The output will resemble the following:
sw-version: 8.1.0 app-version: 769-4439 app-release-date: 2018/01/17 20:27:14
- (Required if you upgraded from a 7.1 or earlier release)Migrate
Panorama Logs to the New Log Format.When you upgrade to a Panorama 8.0 or later release, Panorama Log Collectors use a new log storage format. Because Panorama can no longer generate reports or ACC data from logs in the pre-8.0-release log format, you must migrate the existing logs as soon as you upgrade Panorama and its Log Collectors from a PAN-OS 7.1 or earlier release to a PAN-OS 8.0 or later release. Log migration is a one-time task; if you already migrated the logs on the Log Collector for an upgrade to PAN-OS 8.0, you do not need to migrate them again when you upgrade to PAN-OS 8.1.
Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Not Internet-Connec...
Upgrade Log Collector software to PAN-OS® 8.1 and install content updates using Panorama™ when Panorama is not connected to the internet. ...
Install Updates for Panorama When Not Internet-Connected
Install Updates for Panorama When Not Internet-Connected If Panorama™ does not have a direct connection to the internet, perform the following steps to install Panorama ...
Install Updates for Panorama with an Internet Connection
Install Updates for Panorama with an Internet Connection If Panorama™ has a direct connection to the internet, perform the following steps to install Panorama software ...
Upgrade Firewalls When Panorama Is Not Internet-Connected
Upgrade firewall software to PAN-OS® 8.1 and install content updates using Panorama™ when Panorama is not connected to the internet. ...
Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration
Install Updates for Panorama in an HA Configuration To ensure a seamless failover when you update the Panorama software in a high availability (HA) configuration, ...
Software Updates for Dedicated Log Collectors
Software Updates for Dedicated Log Collectors Panorama > Managed Collectors To install a software image on a Dedicated Log Collector, download or upload the image ...
Upgrade Firewalls When Panorama is Internet-Connected
Procedure to upgrade managed firewalls when Panorama is Internet connected. ...
Migrate Panorama Logs to the New Log Format
Migrate Panorama Logs to the New Log Format After you upgrade to a Panorama 8.0 or later release, Panorama Log Collectors use a new log ...
Upgrade Firewalls Using Panorama
Upgrade Firewalls Using Panorama Review the PAN-OS 8.1 Release Notes and then use the following procedure to upgrade firewalls that you manage with Panorama. This ...