Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Not Internet-Connected
Upgrade Log Collector software to PAN-OS® 10.0 and install content updates using Panorama™ when Panorama is not connected to the internet.
For a list of software or content updates you can install on Log Collectors, see Supported Updates.
If you are upgrading from PAN-OS 8.1, PAN-OS® 9.0 introduced a new log data format for local and Dedicated Log Collectors. On your upgrade path to PAN-OS 10.0, existing log data is automatically migrated to the new format when you upgrade to PAN-OS 9.0. During reformatting, log data is not visible in the
Monitortabs. Additionally, new log data is not forwarded to Log Collectors until reformatting is complete. While the reformatting takes place, new logs are written to the firewall system disk and after the procedure is successfully completed, the new logs are forwarded to the appropriate Log Collector.
You must upgrade all Log Collectors in a collector group at the same time to avoid losing log data loss. No log forwarding or log collection occurs if the Log Collectors in a collector group are not all running the same PAN-OS version. Additionally, the log data for the Log Collectors in the collector group is not visible in the
Monitortabs until all Log Collectors are running the same PAN-OS version. For example, if you have three Log Collectors in a collector group and you upgrade two of the Log Collectors, then no logs are forwarded to any Log Collectors in the collector group.
Palo Alto Networks recommends that you upgrade Log Collectors during a maintenance window. Due to log format migration, the entire upgrade procedure takes an additional number of hours depending on the amount of log data on the local and Dedicated Log Collectors.
- Before you upgrade Log Collectors, ensure that you are running the appropriate Panorama™ software release on the Panorama management server.Palo Alto Networks® highly recommends that Panorama and Log Collectors run the same Panorama software release and that Panorama, Log Collectors, and all managed firewalls run the same content release version. For important software and content compatibility details, see Panorama, Log Collector, Firewall, and WildFire Version Compatibility.Panorama must be running the same (or later) software release as Log Collectors but must have the same or an earlier content release version:
To check the software and content versions:
- Software release version—If your Panorama management server is not already running the same or a later software release than the release to which you intend to update Log Collectors, then you must install the same or a later Panorama release on Panorama (see Install Content and Software Updates for Panorama) before you update any Log Collectors.
- Content release version—For content release versions, you should ensure that all Log Collectors are running the latest content release version or, at minimum, running a later version than you will install or that is running on Panorama; if not, then first update managed firewalls (using Panorama) and then update Log Collectors before you update the content release version on the Panorama management server (see Install Content and Software Updates for Panorama).
- Panorama management server—To determine which software and content versions are running on the Panorama management server, log in to the Panorama web interface and go to General Information settings (Dashboard).
- Log Collectors—To determine which software and content versions are running on Log Collectors, log in to the CLI of each Log Collector and run theshow system infocommand.
- You cannot skip the installation of any feature release versions in the path from the currently running PAN-OS version to PAN-OS 10.0. Review the known issues and changes to default behavior in the Release Notes and upgrade/downgrade considerations in the New Features Guide for each release through which you pass as part of your upgrade path.If upgrading more than one Log Collector, streamline the process by determining the upgrade paths for all Log Collectors you intend to upgrade before you start downloading images.
- Download the latest content and software updates to a host that can connect and upload the files to Panorama either over SCP or HTTPS.
- Use a host with internet access to log in to the Palo Alto Networks Customer Support web site.
- Download content updates:
- ClickDynamic Updatesin the Resources section.
- Downloadthe desired content updates and save the files to the host. Perform this step for each content type you will update.
- Download software updates:
- Return to the main page of the Palo Alto Networks® Customer Support website and clickSoftware Updatesin the Resources section.
- Review the Download column to determine which version to install. The update package filenames for M-Series appliances begin with “Panorama_m” followed by the release number. For example, to upgrade an M-Series appliance to Panorama 10.0.0, download thePanorama_m-10.0.0image.You can quickly locate Panorama images by selectingPanorama M Images(for M-Series appliances) from theFilter Bydrop-down.
- Click the appropriate filename and save the file to the host.
- Install the latest content updates.If you need to install content updates, you must do so before you install software updates. Additionally, install content updates on firewalls first and then on Log Collectors before you update the content release version on Panorama.Install the Applications or Applications and Threats update first and then install any other updates (Antivirus, WildFire®, or URL Filtering) as needed, one at a time, and in any sequence.Regardless whether your subscription includes both Applications and Threats content, Panorama installs and needs only the Applications content. For details, see Panorama, Log Collector, Firewall, and WildFire Version Compatibility.
- Select.PanoramaDevice DeploymentDynamic Updates
- ClickUpload, select the updateType,Browseto the appropriate content update file on the host, and clickOK.
- ClickInstall From File, select the updateType, and select theFile Nameof the update you just uploaded.
- Select the Log Collectors.
- ClickOKto start the installation.
- Repeat these steps for each content update.
- Upgrade the Log Collector to the PAN-OS releases along your upgrade path to PAN-OS 10.0.If upgrading more than one Log Collector, streamline the process by determining the upgrade paths for all Log Collectors you intend to upgrade before you start downloading images.
- PAN-OS 9.0 introduced a new log format. Logs are automatically migrated to the new format after you successfully upgrade the Log Collector to PAN-OS 9.0.Do not continue on your upgrade path until you verify the automatic log migration completed successfully.
- Upgrade the Log Collector to PAN-OS 10.0.
- Select.PanoramaDevice DeploymentSoftware
- ClickUpload,Browseto the appropriate software update file on the host, and clickOK.
- ClickInstallin the Action column for the release you just uploaded.
- Select the Log Collectors to upgrade.
- Select one of the following depending on your needs:
- Upload only to device (do not install).
- Reboot device after install.
- ClickOKto start the upload or installation.
- Verify the software and content versions that are installed on each Log Collector.Log in to the Log Collector CLI and enter theshow system infooperational command. The output will resemble the following:sw-version: 10.0.0 app-version: 8270-6076 app-release-date: 2020/05/08 18:21:51
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.