Upgrade Log Collectors When Panorama Is Not Internet-Connected
Upgrade Log Collector software to PAN-OS® 9.0 and install content updates using Panorama™ when Panorama is not connected to the internet.
For a list of software or content updates you can install on Log Collectors, see Supported Updates.
PAN-OS® 9.0 introduces a new log data format for local and Dedicated Log Collectors. On your upgrade path to PAN-OS 9.1, existing log data is automatically migrated to the new format when you upgrade to PAN-OS 9.0. During reformatting, log data is not visible in the
Monitortabs. Additionally, new log data is not forwarded to Log Collectors until reformatting is complete. While the reformatting takes place, new logs are written to the firewall system disk and after the procedure is successfully completed, the new logs are forwarded to the appropriate Log Collector.
You must upgrade all Log Collectors in a collector group at the same time to avoid losing log data loss. No log forwarding or log collection occurs if the Log Collectors in a collector group are not all running the same PAN-OS version. Additionally, the log data for the Log Collectors in the collector group is not visible in the
Monitortabs until all Log Collectors are running the same PAN-OS version. For example, if you have three Log Collectors in a collector group and you upgrade two of the Log Collectors, then no logs are forwarded to any Log Collectors in the collector group.
Palo Alto Networks recommends that you upgrade Log Collectors during a maintenance window. Due to log format migration, the entire upgrade procedure takes an additional number of hours depending on the amount of log data on the local and Dedicated Log Collectors.
For M-100 appliances, Palo Alto Networks requires upgrading the memory to 32GB or more for management and log collection tasks. See the M-100 Memory Upgrade Guide before upgrading your M-100 appliance to PAN-OS 9.1.0.
- Before you upgrade Log Collectors, ensure that you are running the appropriate Panorama™ software release on the Panorama management server.Palo Alto Networks® highly recommends that Panorama and Log Collectors run the same Panorama software release and that Panorama, Log Collectors, and all managed firewalls run the same content release version. For important software and content compatibility details, see Panorama, Log Collector, Firewall, and WildFire Version Compatibility.Panorama must be running the same (or later) software release as Log Collectors but must have the same or an earlier content release version:
To check the software and content versions:
- Software release version—If your Panorama management server is not already running the same or a later software release than the release to which you intend to update Log Collectors, then you must install the same or a later Panorama release on Panorama (see Install Content and Software Updates for Panorama) before you update any Log Collectors.
- Content release version—For content release versions, you should ensure that all Log Collectors are running the latest content release version or, at minimum, running a later version than you will install or that is running on Panorama; if not, then first update managed firewalls (using Panorama) and then update Log Collectors before you update the content release version on the Panorama management server (see Install Content and Software Updates for Panorama).
- Panorama management server—To determine which software and content versions are running on the Panorama management server, log in to the Panorama web interface and go to General Information settings (Dashboard).
- Log Collectors—To determine which software and content versions are running on Log Collectors, log in to the CLI of each Log Collector and run theshow system infocommand.
- Determine which content updates you need to install on Log Collectors. Refer to the Release Notes for the minimum content release version you must install for a Panorama release.You must install content updates before software updates.
- Run theshow system infoCLI command to view the current update versions.
- For each content update, determine whether you need updates and take note of which content updates you need to download in Step 4.Ensure that Panorama is running the same but not a later content release version than is running on managed firewalls and Log Collectors.
- (As needed) Before you update content versions on Log Collectors, first upgrade managed firewalls to the same or later content release versions.
- You cannot skip the installation of any feature release versions in the path from the currently running PAN-OS version to PAN-OS 9.1. Review the known issues and changes to default behavior in the Release Notes and upgrade/downgrade considerations in the New Features Guide for each release through which you pass as part of your upgrade path.(Required if you are upgrading from a 7.1 or earlier release) PAN-OS 8.0 introduced a new log storage format. After upgrading to PAN-OS 8.0, you must Migrate Panorama Logs to the New Log Format before continuing in your upgrade path. Log migration is a one-time task; if you already migrated the logs on the Log Collector for an upgrade to PAN-OS 8.0, you do not need to migrate them again.If upgrading more than one Log Collector, streamline the process by determining the upgrade paths for all Log Collectors you intend to upgrade before you start downloading images.
- Download the content and software updates to a host that can connect and upload the files to Panorama either over SCP or HTTPS.
- Use a host with internet access to log in to the Palo Alto Networks Customer Support web site.
- Download content updates:
- ClickDynamic Updatesin the Resources section.
- Downloadthe desired content updates and save the files to the host. Perform this step for each content type you will update.
- Download software updates:
- Return to the main page of the Palo Alto Networks® Customer Support website and clickSoftware Updatesin the Resources section.
- Review the Download column to determine which version to install. The update package filenames for M-Series appliances begin with “Panorama_m” followed by the release number. For example, to upgrade an M-Series appliance to Panorama 9.1.0, download thePanorama_m-9.1.0image.You can quickly locate Panorama images by selectingPanorama M Images(for M-Series appliances) from theFilter Bydrop-down.
- Click the appropriate filename and save the file to the host.
- Install content updates on Log Collectors.If you need to install content updates, you must do so before you install software updates. Additionally, install content updates on firewalls first and then on Log Collectors before you update the content release version on Panorama.Install the Applications or Applications and Threats update first and then install any other updates (Antivirus, WildFire®, or URL Filtering) as needed, one at a time, and in any sequence.Regardless whether your subscription includes both Applications and Threats content, Panorama installs and needs only the Applications content. For details, see Panorama, Log Collector, Firewall, and WildFire Version Compatibility.
- In Panorama, select.PanoramaDevice DeploymentDynamic Updates
- ClickUpload, select the updateType,Browseto the appropriate content update file on the host, and clickOK.
- ClickInstall From File, select the updateType, and select theFile Nameof the update you just uploaded.
- Select the Log Collectors.
- ClickOKto start the installation.
- Repeat these steps for each content update.
- Install software updates.
- Select.PanoramaDevice DeploymentSoftware
- ClickUpload,Browseto the appropriate software update file on the host, and clickOK.
- ClickInstallin the Action column for the release you just uploaded.
- Select the Log Collectors on which to install the update.
- Select one of the following based on the software version you are installing within the upgrade path (Step 3):
- Upload only to device (do not install).
- Reboot device after install.
- ClickOKto start the installation.
- Check the status of the log format migration after a success upgrade to PAN-OS 9.1.
- Log in to the Panorama CLI of the Log Collector.
- Run the following command to check the status of the log format migration:admin>debug logdb show-es-upgrade-timeExample response when the log format migration is still in progress:Response from logger 23456212: 50.98% of indices upgraded complete. Approximately less than a minute remaining until migration is complete. Once the log migration is complete, please run the ‘show log-collector-es-cluster health’ command to check the ElasticSearch cluster status to verify logging and reporting functionality is restored.Response when the log format migration is completed:Response from logger 23456212: 100% of indices complete, please run the ‘show log-collector-es-culster health’ command to check the ElasticSearch cluster status to verify logging and reporting functionality is restored.
- After the log format migration is complete, run the following command to check the status of the ElasticSearch cluster before you continue to the next step:admin>show log-collector-es-cluster healthContinue to the next step when the“status”of the ElasticSearch cluster health displays“green”:
- Verify the software and content versions that are installed on each Log Collector.Log in to the Log Collector CLI and enter theshow system infooperational command. The output will resemble the following:sw-version: 9.1.0 app-version: 8085-5112 app-release-date: 2018/10/29 18:21:51
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.