Get Started with Advanced WildFire
Where Can I Use This?
What Do I Need?
The following steps provide a quick workflow to get started with Advanced WildFire™ on the firewall. If you’d like to learn more about Advanced WildFire before getting started, take a look at the Advanced WildFire Overview and review the Advanced WildFire Best Practices.
For information about using the WildFire private cloud or hybrid cloud, refer to the WildFire Appliance administration.
I you are using Advanced WildFire on Prisma Access, familiarize yourself with the product before configuring your WildFire Analysis Security Profile to Forward Files for Advanced WildFire Analysis.
- Get your Advanced WildFire or WildFire subscription. If you do not have a subscription, you can still forward PEs for WildFire analysis.
- Decide which of the Advanced WildFire Deployments works for you:
If you are deploying a WildFire private or hybrid cloud, refer to the WildFire Appliance administration.
- Advanced WildFire Public Cloud—Forward samples to a Palo Alto Networks-hosted Advanced WildFire public cloud.
- WildFire U.S. Government cloud—Forward samples to a Palo Alto Networks-hosted WildFire U.S. Government cloud.
- Confirm your license is active on the firewall.
- Log in to the firewall.
- Selectand check that the WildFire License is active.DeviceLicensesIf the WildFire License is not displayed, select one of the License Management options to activate the license.
- Connect the firewall to WildFire and configure WildFire settings.
- Selectand edit General Settings.DeviceSetupWildFire
- UseWildFire Public Cloudfield to forward samples to the Advanced WildFire public cloud.
- It is a Advanced WildFire Best Practices to set theFile Sizefor PEs to the maximum size limit of 10 MB, and to leave theFile Sizefor all other file types set to the default value.
- ClickOKto save the WildFire General Settings.
- Enable the firewall to forward decrypted SSL traffic for Advanced WildFire analysis.
- Start submitting samples for analysis.
- Define traffic to forward for WildFire analysis. (Selectand modify orObjectsSecurity ProfilesWildFire AnalysisAdda WildFire Analysis profile).As a best practice, use the WildFire Analysis default profile to ensure complete coverage for traffic the firewall allows. If you still decide to create a custom WildFire Analysis profile, set the profile to forwardAnyfile type—this enables the firewall to automatically start forwarding newly-supported file types for analysis.
- For each profile rule, setpublic-cloudas theDestinationto forward samples to the Advanced WildFire cloud for analysis.
- Attach the WildFire analysis profile to a security policy rule. Traffic matched to the policy rule is forwarded for WildFire analysis (andPoliciesSecurityAddor modify a security policy rule).
- Enable the firewall to get the latest Advanced WildFire signatures.New Advanced WildFire signatures are retrieved in real-time to detect and identify malware. If you are operating PAN-OS 9.1 or earlier, you can receive new signatures every five minutes.
- PAN-OS 9.1 and earlier
- Select:DeviceDynamic Updates
- Check thatWildFireupdates are displayed.
- SelectCheck Nowto retrieve the latest signature update packages.
- Set theScheduleto download and install the latest Advanced WildFire signatures.
- Use theRecurrencefield to set the frequency at which the firewall checks for new updates toEvery Minute.As new WildFire signatures are available every five minutes, this setting ensures the firewall retrieves these signatures within a minute of availability.
- Enable the firewall toDownload and Installthese updates as the firewall retrieves them.
- PAN-OS 10.0 and later
- Select:DeviceDynamic Updates
- Check that theWildFireupdates are displayed.
- Select Schedule to configure the update frequency and then use theRecurrencefield to configure the firewall to retrieve WildFire signatures inReal-time.
- Start scanning traffic for threats, including malware that Advanced WildFire identifies.Attach thedefaultAntivirus profile to a security policy rule to scan traffic the rules allows based on WildFire antivirus signatures (selectand add or a modify the definedPoliciesSecurityActionsfor a rule).
- Control site access to web sites where Advanced WildFire has identified the associated link as malicious or phishing.This option requires a PAN-DB URL Filtering license. Learn more about URL Filtering and how it enables you to control web site access and corporate credential submissions (to prevent phishing attempts) based on URL category.To configure URL Filtering:
- SelectandObjectsSecurity ProfilesURL FilteringAddor modify a URL Filtering profile.
- SelectCategoriesand defineSite Accessfor the phishing and malicious URL categories.
- Blockusers from accessing sites in these categories altogether, or instead, allow access but generate anAlertwhen users access sites in these categories, to ensure you have visibility into such events.
- Enable credential phishing prevention to stop users from submitting credentials to untrusted sites, without blocking their access to these sites.
- Apply the new or updated URL Filtering profile, and attach it to a security policy rule to apply the profile settings to allowed traffic:
- SelectandPoliciesSecurityAddor modify a security policy rule.
- SelectActionsand in the Profile Setting section, set theProfile Typeto profiles.
- Attach the new or updatedURL Filteringprofile to the security policy rule.
- ClickOKto save the security policy rule.
- Confirm that the firewall is successfully forwarding samples.
- If you enabled logging of benign files, selectand check that entries are being logged for benign files submitted for analysis. (If you’d like to disable logging of benign files after confirming that the firewall is connected to a WildFire cloud, selectMonitorWildFire Submissionsand clearDeviceSetupWildFireReport Benign Files).
- Other options to allow you to confirm that the firewall forwarded a specific sample, view samples the firewall forwards according to file type, and to view the total number of samples the firewall forwards.
- Test a Sample Malware File to test your complete WildFire configuration.
- Investigate analysis results.
- Find analysis results:
- Use the Advanced WildFire API to retrieve sample verdicts and reports from a WildFire appliance.
- Next step:
Recommended For You
Recommended videos not found.